Why can't I get 'alt enter' to create a line break in Excel?

  1. #1
    babbott
    Guest

    Why can't I get 'alt enter' to create a line break in Excel?

    Normally, you can force a line break in a cell in Excel just by hitting 'alt
    enter'. For some reason, this doesn't work in my copy of Excel 2003
    (11.8012.6568, SP2). It just does nothing, as though I never hit the keys.
    Everything else seems to work fine.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2

    Re: Why can't I get 'alt enter' to create a line break in Excel?

    Maybe the alt key is stuck???

  3. #3
    babbott
    Guest

    Re: Why can't I get 'alt enter' to create a line break in Excel?

    Thank you, Dave; Logical guess; no luck. All the other "alt" functions still
    work, in Excel and elsewhere.

    I was wondering if maybe there is a "enable / disable" function somewhere,
    but I can't find anything.

  4. #4

    Re: Why can't I get 'alt enter' to create a line break in Excel?

    Are you typing something into a cell?

    Can you try a simple test:
    xyz(alt-enter)abc

    I've never seen a macro that does anything run while I'm editting a cell--so I
    don't think it would be disabled by a macro.

    How about the enter key--could it be stuck?

    I hate suggesting this, but does it work after you reboot?

    Any chance you have one of those expensive keyboards that can be programmed to
    do lots of stuff?