difficulty with Search function that incorporates multiple workshe

  1. #1
    gloss
    Guest

    difficulty with Search function that incorporates multiple workshe

    need help urgent

    Using 'Search' function with wildcard to find matching data in column of
    another worksheet eg

    search("mat*",'anotherExcel.xls'!Suppliers)

    formula does not recurse through column

    Is there a way i can overcome this or is there another formula or method I
    could apply

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: difficulty with Search function that incorporates multiple workshe

    Hi!

    Try this:

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("mat",[anotherExcel.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10))))

    A return >0 means there's a match.

    The best way to write these types of formulas is to open the other file and
    point to the references. Let Excel put the path in for you.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...