Pivot table grouping

  1. #1
    Philip Nelson
    Guest

    Pivot table grouping

    This has got to be a common problem, but I am not finding the solution. I
    import sales data via an xml list. I created the pivot table on the series
    of dates the sales happened. It naturally groups the data with summary
    columns for the number of sales on each date, just what I would expect.

    Now I want to that those figures additionally grouped by month, then year.
    Though tedious, I was able to do this by selected the appropriate groups of
    dates and using "Group" to group by month, then Group to group by year.

    First question, that has to be so common it seems like there must be an
    easier way.

    Next, a month goes by and I refresh the sales data (using Xml/Refresh Data).
    I save. Now I go to my pivot table and refresh data. As I would expect there
    are new dates in the series that are not part of any existing group.
    Typically there are additional dates that should have fallen in already
    grouped months but the data wasn't present at the time of the last run.
    Getting these dates into the appropriate group is a nightmare of ungrouping,
    dragging, guessing why a row won't move where I want and then finally
    grouping again.

    Second question, isn't there a way to update the underlying list so that
    data will get into the pivot table in the correct grouping?

    I'd really appreciate some help here, thanks!

  2. #2
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table grouping

    Hi Philip.

    Do not select a range of dates and then group.

    Start with ungrouped dates, then right-click the date field header and
    select Group from the drop-down menu...

    Be sure that the date field does not contain blanks, or you will not
    be able to group the whole field by date.

    Ed Ferrero
    http://www.edferrero.com

  3. #3
    Philip Nelson
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table grouping

    Wont that just group by activity on the same date? The intial try just gave
    me an error saying it couldn't group by that field.
    I'll experiment though.

    Perhaps a calculated fields would get me the month and year and I could
    group by that.

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Philip Nelson
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table grouping

    A second follow up. According to the pivot table there is a blank date in
    the list. There are no blank dates according to the xml list. I thought it
    might be the total row, nope. I added another field to help me figure out
    what row it was unhappy about, the name field. I filter the pivot table by
    blank date: no rows found. sigh...

    Any ideas? I cannot group until I get this solved "cannot group by this
    selection"

  5. #5
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table grouping

    Hi Philip,

    I just imported an xml list, created a pivot table, and grouped by date with
    no problems. I suggest you check the data in your xml list. Maybe check that
    you have dates in column with a formula like
    =IF(ISERR(DAY(A2)),"PROBLEM",IF(ISTEXT(A2),"PROBLEM",""))

    Ed Ferrero
    http://www.edferrero.com