How recover a lost file in Excel 2003?

  1. #1
    Rhonda Plastics
    Guest

    How recover a lost file in Excel 2003?

    We have a workgroup set up in our office. On this workgroup, we had a file
    that most of us use. Somehow, a file got deleted (or somehow it is gone).
    We really need that spreadsheet file and I can't seem to be able to recover
    it.

    Does anyone know if it is possible and if so, how to recover a deletd
    spreadsheet file in Excel 2003?

  2. #2

    Re: How recover a lost file in Excel 2003?

    Talk to your IT guy to see if they can restore a previous version from a
    backup. You may not get the most current version, though.

    If you have the file on a shared network drive, you may want to search for the
    file name on that drive. I've see people use windows explorer and drag files to
    different folders by mistake.

    A search may find it in another folder.

  3. #3
    Rhonda Plastics
    Guest

    Re: How recover a lost file in Excel 2003?

    Thank you, Dave, for your help. We don't have an IT guy, so I can't ask
    them. We don't have a backup (which would be a GREAT idea to start doing!)
    of anything that is done on the computer is the hard drive crashes. I tried
    a search, but got nothing. I don't know where else to look. I am afraid I am
    just going to have to re-create the spreadsheet. Not fun, but doable. Let's
    just say this has been a valuable, albeit painful, lesson.

    Thank you for assisting me with this situation. I appreciate you taking the
    time and effort to write your message. It means a great deal to me that
    someone I've never met and probably will never meet took time out of his day
    to give me assistance. I appreciate it more than you will ever know. Thank
    you very much.

    You are proof that good and caring people exist in the world today. Thank
    you.

    Rhonda

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: How recover a lost file in Excel 2003?

    A couple of other thoughts....
    Maybe someone emailed it to someone, or themselves at home and still has a
    copy in email....search the emails
    Take a look at the directory where the file is supposed to be and see if
    there is a file with an unusual name/number....try opening it....
    Do a search of the Directory by DATE, and check each filename within the
    lost period to see if the file got renamed.....
    Check the Windows Trashcan......

    hth
    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    "Rhonda Plastics" <Rhonda [email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Re: How recover a lost file in Excel 2003?

    Good luck on your problem.

    There are lots of people who share info inside these groups. I was just the one
    who answered first. (Chuck got here too late!)

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: How recover a lost file in Excel 2003?

    Shucks......."missed it by THAT much".........guess that means another tour
    in the "Cone of Silence"..<g>

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck , CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...