How do I display the full file path for a hyperlink in Office 2003

  1. #1
    Worthy
    Guest

    How do I display the full file path for a hyperlink in Office 2003

    I am writing user manuals for a series of reports I produce and I'm using
    hyperlinks to show where reports are stored. When I insert the hyperlink it
    loses the full name of the file path and replaces it with the drive letter
    that the report is stored on. (i.e. instead of
    \\uup-rep-dx89\MI_Reports\daily\test.xls the hyperlink is shown as
    E:\MI_Reports\daily\test.xls.)

    Although the hyperlink will still work, it is not very practical for
    somebody to follow the user manual if they have a print out because network
    drives can be mapped to different drive letters.

    Hope this makes sense and hope somebody can help!

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: How do I display the full file path for a hyperlink in Office 2003

    Try to dis-connect networked drives before entering the hyperlink.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    Worthy
    Guest

    RE: How do I display the full file path for a hyperlink in Office

    Thanks - I've tried that but I can't point the hyperlink to where the reports
    are stored if the drive is disconnected.

    --
    Paul

  4. #4

    Re: How do I display the full file path for a hyperlink in Office 2003

    You could always use the =hyperlink() worksheet formula:
    =hyperlink("\\uup-rep-d...etc","Click me!")

  5. #5
    Worthy
    Guest

    Re: How do I display the full file path for a hyperlink in Office

    Dave,

    This is fine, however it means writing the full file path in the function
    each time. (I need to do this for various file locations so it could be quite
    time consuming writing the path names in manually).

    It was easy in Office 2000 to insert a hyperlink because you tell it where
    the file is by selecting it when you insert the Hyperlink.

    Any other suggestions?

    --
    Paul

  6. #6

    Re: How do I display the full file path for a hyperlink in Office

    Put the path in a cell (say a1) and use:

    =hyperlink($a$1&"\filename.ext","clickme")

    Then if the path ever changes, you can just change that one cell.

  7. #7
    snicho
    Guest

    RE: How do I display the full file path for a hyperlink in Office 2003

    Set the File, Properties, Hyperlink Base to "\\" (without the inverted commas).

    This may intitially break a few links (but maybe not), but if you go back
    and set all your hyperlinks again to an absolute path on your LAN it should
    solve any further broken links.