number columns skip blanks

  1. #1
    wsk
    Guest

    number columns skip blanks

    I have 5 columns of data imported from another program into excel. I want
    the 1st column to be numbered in sequential order based on input from the 4th
    column. If cell D1 has text in it then cell A1 should read the number 1. If
    cell D2 is empty the A2 should be empty. If cell D3 has text in it then A3
    should read number 2. The forth column will always change based on the
    imported data and I want the first column to reflect that. Any ideas?
    --
    wsk

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: number columns skip blanks

    Try this:

    A1: =IF(ISBLANK($D1),"",COUNTA($D$1:$D1))

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  3. #3
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: number columns skip blanks

    In A1, enter formula:
    =IF(D1="";"";ROW())
    and copy down.

    AP

    "wsk" <[email protected]> a crit dans le message de news:
    [email protected]...

  4. #4
    Stefi
    Guest

    RE: number columns skip blanks

    =IF(ISBLANK(D1),ROW(),"")
    Put this in A1 and fill down as necessary!

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „wsk” ezt *rta:

  5. #5
    wsk
    Guest

    RE: number columns skip blanks

    Ron, Worked great thank you ! Thank all of you for responding!!!!
    --
    wsk