Excel: Creating a scroll down menu in a column

  1. #1
    Maryjerk
    Guest

    Excel: Creating a scroll down menu in a column

    I need for each cell in a particular column, to populate ONLY with the
    choices given in a scroll down menu for each cell in that column. The column
    is entitled "Project Status" and the only word choices that should populate
    this cell, which are to be chosen from a scroll down menu, are: Completed, On
    Track, Postponed, Behind.

    Thanks for your help. mj

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Excel: Creating a scroll down menu in a column

    Try Data Validation:

    Select ALL of the Project Status input cells
    <data><validation>
    Allow: List
    Source: Completed,On Track,Postponed,Behind
    Click the [OK] button

    Now, those cells will only allow the listed items.

    For more information on Data Validation, see Debra Dalgleish's website:

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  3. #3
    Maryjerk
    Guest

    RE: Excel: Creating a scroll down menu in a column

    Ron -

    You are a Rock Star. Thanks so much as that worked beautifully. I'm much
    more proficient at MS Word and PP, and only an average Excel user, so the
    quick response and the great dirrection are MUCH appreciated.

    Is it possible to take this one step further? I'd like for the words On
    Track, Ongoing, and Completed to appear in Green, and for the words Behind
    Schedule and Postponed to appear in red. I know there is a way to do this
    automatically with values, but I'm at a loss as to how to do this in my
    present situation. Any further advice is greatly appreciated.

    MJ

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Excel: Creating a scroll down menu in a column

    Try Conditional Formatting:

    Assuming you want the formatting to impact A1:A50

    1)Just fomat the cells to show Green text.
    That will cover these values: On Track, Ongoing, and Completed

    2)Set the CF to cover the Behind Schedule and Postponed values...

    Select the A1:A50, with A1 as the Active Cell
    <format><conditional formatting>
    Formula is: =or(A1="Behind Schedule",A1="Postponed")
    Click the [Format] button and set the format (red text)
    Click the [OK] buttons

    Using the above, the green font will be used, unless the cell value is
    "Behind Schedule" or "Postponed".

    Does that help?
    Regards,
    Ron