Use data to copy/fill other cells.

  1. #1

    Use data to copy/fill other cells.

    Hello all,

    I have learned very much from this site. Thanks to all.
    So, I figured I would see anyone could help me directly on my next problem.

    On to my latest project.

    I need to use data entered in a column(s) to determine which cells to place the copied data in.

    I have a worksheet that lists my completed jobs.
    Since I sometimes use sub contractors, not everyone works a regular schedule, except me. So some days I will be the only one working. I am listed for each day / job. I need to use my master job list, to update each persons and payment (job date & job #, at a later time), without entering it 2 times or cut & paste, to avoid omissions or mistakes.

    When I enter a job on the master list, it automatically updates the Quick List on the same worksheet. That is the list I use to write checks from and keep track of workers payments.

    Basically, use data to update different cells based on the persons name.
    I have peoples names repeating randomly in column G (ex. G5:G370).
    I have the payment (dollar amount) for the person in Column H (H5:H370).
    There are some blanks in those columns. I could enter a "filler data / null value) if needed. There are many columns that I fill with each jobs details. I just want selected info for the Quick List for quick reference.

    In the preview, the columns were compressed So I will list each column.

    A is the job date
    B is the job #
    G is Sub Contractor name
    H is sub contrcators payment

    Main List Data

    A B G H Columns not relevent are omitted.
    Date Job# Sub Cont Payment
    01/05/06 005 Donna 363.00
    01/06/06 006 Donna 150.00
    01/08/06 008 *** 0.00 No name in column G indicates a job
    01/10/06 010 Larry 115.00 on that day, but no sub contractors
    01/12/06 012 Don 110.00 worked on that job.
    01/14/06 014 Larry 115.00
    01/15/06 015 Donna 115.00
    01/16/06 016 Don 110.00
    01/24/06 024 *** 0.00
    01/25/06 025 Donna 150.00
    01/30/06 030 Don 110.00

    I also have each person listed, in a workers Quick List at the bottom
    How can I take the dollar amount and copy it under the persons name, in the next empty cell? I have not expanded the Quick List to include the additional fields (date & job #), that will come later.

    Workers Quick List

    Donna Larry Don
    Amt Amt Amt
    363.00 115.00 110.00
    150.00 115.00 110.00
    115.00 110.00
    150.00

    If I haven't been clear enough in my explainations, let me know. I will try to clarify. I have a few oher questions, but these are the most important at this time.

    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Harv

  2. #2
    kassie
    Guest

    RE: Use data to copy/fill other cells.

    Seeing you want to sum underneath the name, I take it you have the list in
    one row, say A500:E500. Then in A501, enter
    =SUMIF($G$5:$G$375,A500,$H$5:$H$375).
    Copy this across to the other cells, and you will have the totals for each.

  3. #3

    I don't want the sum of the list...

    I don't want the sum of the list...

    What I want is to list specific info from each job, for each sub contractor.

    I want a quick reference of job info. I can then determine the completed, paid & outstanding amounts due.

    I want to enter all job info in the main section.
    (job date / job # / job total fee / My Name / My fee / Sub Cont name / sub cont fee / etc.)

    Then have the job date / job number / sub contractor fee) automatically entered in the quick reference list below the main section.

    For each person I want a list like the following.

    Donna

    Job Date.....Job#......Fee
    4/18/06.......108.....115.00
    4/21/06.......111.....150.00