INDIRECT function do not work when other file is closed

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,791

    Lightbulb INDIRECT function do not work when other file is closed

    I have used INDIRECT function which has reference to other workbook. when I close other book which I have referenced to. INDIRECT function do not update values, instead it gives error.

    is there any other function for the same working which would update values even when other file is closed.

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: INDIRECT function do not work when other file is closed

    See

    ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/ (look for pull.zip

    http://xcell05.free.fr/english/ (look for INDIRECT.EXT)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: INDIRECT function do not work when other file is closed

    You could try Harlan Grove's PULL function. You can get it
    ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/ (look for pull.zip)

    You would use it like so
    =pull("'"&A3&"\["&B3&".xls]"&C3&"'!"&"B5")

    or

    =pull("'"&A3&"\["&B3&".xls]"&C3&"'!B5")

    Bob Phillips

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,791

    Lightbulb

    thanks for reply.
    is there not any built in substitute for this problem?
    I have read about other function or combination of functions to solve this problem but I have not remembered where I read about this.
    do you know? Please provide me with link of that web.
    Last edited by starguy; 05-12-2006 at 08:15 AM.

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: INDIRECT function do not work when other file is closed

    If there was it would not be necessary for Harlan to write one.

    Bob Phillips