Summing cells that contain numbers and text

  1. #1
    Mango
    Guest

    Summing cells that contain numbers and text

    Hello-
    I'm trying to sum columns that contain mostly number values, but that also
    contain some occasional text. Excel, of course, ignores those cells that
    contain text. I've noticed other users with similar questions, but I'm still
    not getting it. The text does not have any quantitative value. It is merely a
    visual tag that I want to print along with the number value. Is there a way
    to make Excel ignore the text but still add the data? Perhaps a formula for
    each cell that contains text + data that makes the SUM formula "see" only the
    data for that cell? Please dumb it down for me, I'm new to Excel. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Summing cells that contain numbers and text

    Do you mean like

    etc

    then SUM(Range)

    will ignore the text values, but if your value are like

    1a
    2
    3b
    etc

    then you can't sum unless you can extract the number but then the question
    is what are the different text
    strings, where in the cells are they (before/after number)?

    If the latter you should rethink your design and tag the values in separate
    cells, it's not a good design if you can't calculate numbers without first
    going to length in extracting them from text first

    Note that you can use a custom format in the cells like

    0.00 "tag"

    then it will display as 12.25 tag
    but the value would be numerical

    Peo Sjoblom

    http://nwexcelsolutions.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Summing cells that contain numbers and text

    Although awkward, you can append the Letters to the numbers in a cell with
    Custom Formatting........Right-click on the cell, choose FormatCells >
    NumberTab > Custom > and in the Type: window, put 0 A (that's zero and A, or
    whatever letter you wish to append) > OK.....then type only the number
    portion in the cell.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4
    Mango
    Guest

    Re: Summing cells that contain numbers and text

    Well, let me give you an example of one of these cells. Say the value I want
    added in the cell is 550, but I want to also write in the cell that there is
    a fee associated with it, like a late fee. Then I would write in the cell:
    "550 + late fee", or "550 (late fee). The problem with adding an extra cell
    for text, for each column, is it would I think complicate the formatting, or
    make the worksheet too big to print on one page. I'm already maxed out as far
    as width in landscape mode. I guess I'm wanting a Word table with Excel
    functionality, and it's not working out. These cells that share the text are
    few and far between, so if there is a formula that I can enter to extract the
    data from the text for each instance, it wouldn't be such a bad workaround.

  5. #5
    Mango
    Guest

    RE: Summing cells that contain numbers and text

    CLR-
    I'm sorry, I don't understand. Will Excel print the number + text in the
    cell, and add the number value in the SUM formula?

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Summing cells that contain numbers and text

    Yes, try it on a test sheet...........
    Where I put 0 A , you could put 0 (late fee) in for the formatting
    and then just type the number in the cell.......

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  7. #7
    Mango
    Guest

    RE: Summing cells that contain numbers and text

    Hey Chuck- I tried doing what you said, but I got an error message saying
    "Excel cannot use the number format you typed. Try using one of the built in
    number formats." I typed in "0 +fee". Interestingly, I typed in "0+f" and it
    worked! I then became curious and tried different scenarios. Typing "0f"," 0
    f", "0(f)", "0 +f "worked. Typing "0(fee)", "0 fe", "0fee" brought up the
    error message.I don't know what is going on.

  8. #8
    Hans Knudsen
    Guest

    Re: Summing cells that contain numbers and text

    Not quite sure if this is what you are after, but you might want to try:
    =550+N("+late fee")
    Only 550 will show up i the cell and you will be able to sum. =550+N("+late fee") will appear in the formula field.

    Regards
    Hans Knudsen

  9. #9
    Mango
    Guest

    Re: Summing cells that contain numbers and text

    Thanks Hans, but I want the text to show up in the cell.

  10. #10
    Hans Knudsen
    Guest

    Re: Summing cells that contain numbers and text

    Mango
    Did you get your problem solved?
    Otherwise you might want to try the custom format
    0 "(late fee)"

    Hans

  11. #11
    JimMay
    Guest

    Re: Summing cells that contain numbers and text

    It would be helpful if you showed several examples of your data.

    news:#Ro#[email protected]: