color cells by clicking

  1. #1
    A.R.J Allan Jefferys
    Guest

    color cells by clicking

    Hello
    Thanks to all that have answered my last posts, and now for another please.

    I have 3 columns B, C, D. I would like to be
    able to select any blank cell in column B and turn only that cell yellow, and
    of course the other columns will have there own colors. These cells will
    always remain blank, and will only be those three columns. Can this be done

    Thankyou Allan

  2. #2
    WylieDude
    Guest

    Re: color cells by clicking

    Would like to see a solution to going one step further with this, where one
    page links to a cell on another page. And when the other page is brought
    into focus the cell that the previous page is linked to highlights with a
    different color?

    "A.R.J Allan Jefferys" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: color cells by clicking

    On Error GoTo ws_exit
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    With Target
    If .Column = 2 Then
    .Interior.ColorIndex = 6 'yellow
    ElseIf .Column = 3 Then
    .Interior.ColorIndex = 5 'blue
    ElseIf .Column = 4 Then
    .Interior.ColorIndex = 3 'red
    End If
    End With

    ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    On Error GoTo 0

    End Sub

    This is worksheet event code, which means that it needs to be
    placed in the appropriate worksheet code module, not a standard
    code module. To do this, right-click on the sheet tab, select
    the View Code option from the menu, and paste the code in.

    Bob Phillips

  4. #4
    A.R.J Allan Jefferys
    Guest

    Re: color cells by clicking

    Many thanks Bob

    It works like a charm. I thought i Should Post it since it works .

    Many thanks
    Allan Jefferys

    On Error GoTo ws_exit
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    With Target
    If .Column = 2 Then
    .Interior.ColorIndex = 6 'yellow
    ElseIf .Column = 3 Then
    .Interior.ColorIndex = 5 'blue
    ElseIf .Column = 4 Then
    .Interior.ColorIndex = 3 'red
    End If
    End With
    ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    On Error GoTo 0
    If ActiveSheet.Index = 1 Then Exit Sub
    Sheets(ActiveSheet.Index - 1).Rows(ActiveCell.Row).Copy
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    end sub

  5. #5
    WylieDude
    Guest

    Re: color cells by clicking

    Code worked great thanks. One thing that should happen is when the page is
    not in focus the color should revert to its original default color. Or if
    another cell on that page is selected with the mouse the highlighted cell
    should revert to default.

    Thanks alot this is very helpfull

    news:%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: color cells by clicking

    '----------------------------------------------------------------
    '----------------------------------------------------------------
    Dim ci As Long
    Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
    With Target
    If .Column = 2 Then
    ci = 6 'yellow
    ElseIf .Column = 3 Then
    ci = 5 'blue
    ElseIf .Column = 4 Then
    ci = 3 'red
    Else
    Exit Sub
    End If
    .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
    .FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = ci
    End With

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    WylieDude
    Guest

    Re: color cells by clicking

    Thank you, worked like a charm...........

    Cheers

  8. #8
    A.R.J Allan Jefferys
    Guest

    Re: color cells by clicking

    Thanks for that bit of code Bob, but i am not sure if it should go at the end
    or the middle of the module, so what i did was this:

    Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeRightClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As
    Boolean)
    Application.CommandBars("cell").Enabled = False
    Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
    Selection.ClearContents
    End Sub
    Yours would be better because it is automatic.

    I know it looks long because it is, but i was not sure in one bit of code,
    on how to keep the counter going

    On Error GoTo ws_exit
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    With Target
    If .Column = 2 Then
    .Interior.ColorIndex = 6 'yellow
    ElseIf .Column = 3 Then
    .Interior.ColorIndex = 5 'blue
    ElseIf .Column = 4 Then
    .Interior.ColorIndex = 3 'red
    End If
    End With

    ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    On Error GoTo 0
    If ActiveSheet.Index = 1 Then Exit Sub
    If ActiveCell.Row < 41 Then Exit Sub
    If ActiveCell.Row > 94 Then Exit Sub
    If ActiveCell.Column > 1 Then Exit Sub
    Sheets(ActiveSheet.Index - 1).Rows(ActiveCell.Row).Copy
    ActiveSheet.Paste

    ActiveCell.Offset(columnoffset:=5).Select
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "1" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "2"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "2" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "3"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "3" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "4"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "4" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "5"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "5" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "6"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "6" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "7"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "7" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "8"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "8" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "9"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "9" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "10"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "10" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "11"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "11" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "12"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "12" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "13"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "13" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "14"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "14" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "15"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "15" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "16"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "16" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "17"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "17" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "18"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "18" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "19"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "19" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "20"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "20" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "21"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "21" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "22"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "22" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "23"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "23" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "24"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "24" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "25"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "25" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "26"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "26" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "27"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "27" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "28"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "28" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "29"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "29" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "30"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "30" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "31"
    End
    End If
    If ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 >= "31" Then
    Selection.ClearContents
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "There are only 31 days Wally"
    End

    does this look alright to you?

    Allan

  9. #9
    A.R.J Allan Jefferys
    Guest

    Re: color cells by clicking

    Oh my

    I seem to have lost my offset since i put in those three colums. The offset
    was 5, so i thought it would now be 8 but no.
    What did i do wrong

  10. #10
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: color cells by clicking

    You have lost me, what are you trying to do?

    Bob Phillips

> [...]

    > > > ci = 5 'blue
    > > > ElseIf .Column = 4 Then
    > > > ci = 3 'red
    > > > Else
    > > > Exit Sub
    > > > End If
    > > > .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE"
    > > > .FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = ci
    > > > End With
    > > >
    > > > End Sub
    > > >
    > > > 'This is worksheet event code, which means that it needs to be
    > > > 'placed in the appropriate worksheet code module, not a standard
    > > > 'code module. To do this, right-click on the sheet tab, select
    > > > 'the View Code option from the menu, and paste the code in.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > HTH
    > > >
    > > > Bob Phillips
    > > >
    > > > (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
    > > >
    > > > "WylieDude" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    like

  11. #11
    A.R.J Allan Jefferys
    Guest

    Re: color cells by clicking

    Sorry about that!
    I have a 31 page workbook which is a bookin sheet. In column "A " there are
    the room numbers which when clicked, the activecell goes back one sheet and
    retrieves the data on that row and brings it forward to the activesheet. now
    once this is done a cell in column 12 is selected as the offset to the row
    in use which is a counter on how many stays so far eg: "1" is copied from
    sheet1 and turned into "2" and so on for 31 sheets if the same person books
    the same bed each day. You helped out the other day with a color scheme for
    three colums b, c, d which worked very well, but because i inserted the
    three column after the sheet was designed, The cell that was automatically
    selectedas the counter is not in focus anymore and i am unable to get it
    back. i have changed the offset number, but no go.

    I can only hope this is what you wanted to Know, or i have confused you
    more, and will not waste anymore of your time.

    Thanks again Allan