calculating elapsed time over a period of days

  1. #1
    Jerome Ranch
    Guest

    calculating elapsed time over a period of days

    I have data that I take over time (several days).
    I want to calculate total elapsed time over all the days of the
    experiment.

    Time data may look like this

    date time data elapsed time (min)
    5/12/2006 09:10:00 1 0
    5/12/2006 10:40:00 200 90
    5/12/2006 12:30:00 etc 200
    5/12/2006 15:30:00 380
    5/12/2006 17:00:00 470
    5/12/2006 20:45:00 695 ( I get this far with but
    when a day changes, how might I calc this)
    5/13/2006 07:30:00
    5/13/2006 10:40:00
    5/13/2006 12:30:00
    5/13/2006 15:30:00
    5/14/2006 10:40:00
    5/14/2006 12:30:00
    5/14/2006 15:30:00

    Knowing elapsed hrs I can calc minutes by mutiplying hrs*24*60.
    So how might I build the logic with formulas to accompish this?

    Thanks
    Jerry

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: calculating elapsed time over a period of days

    Assuming you have column headers (such as given in your example)
    In column D1, enter formula:
    =(A2+B2)-(A$2+B$2)
    Drag down to fill column
    Format Customized [mm]

    AP

    [email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: calculating elapsed time over a period of days

    Thanks
    I made a couple of mods to fit some new criteria, but this works as
    expected
    I didn't know Excel would add date and time..makes sense since Excel
    breaks the day into 1/24 increments

    Cool