How to make VLOOKUP work for this

  1. #1
    DavidJ726
    Guest

    How to make VLOOKUP work for this

    I have a "master" spreadsheet where column A is a time column and every row
    represents a second (in plain text format) such as 00:00, 00:01, 00:02....
    00:59:, 01:00, 01:01, 01:02,... and continues on for 24 minutes... 23:59,
    24:00. (1442 rows). Off to the side (I'm thinking of putting it on
    another sheet though) I have a small table where I'll enter the time and
    corresponding data I need populated in Column B, and will look something
    like the following example;

    My question(s) are, is the VLOOKUP function the best way to populate column
    B with the values? It's a real pain to scroll down through 1400+ rows just
    to enter data in 8-12 cells. And would the formula then be entered into
    every cell in Column B??? I've been working with this but just can't seem
    to get it to work. I was reviewing other posts here about the VLOOKUP
    function and I suspect I need more help than what I'm getting from Excels
    built in or the MS on-line help.

    Many thanks,
    David

    Example;

    00:00 6
    00:30 4
    01:30 11
    02:30 10
    08:45 8
    12:00 6
    15:15 4
    19:00 2

    The times and the numeric values are a profile that can change from day to
    day, so the next day might look like this;

    00:00 8
    01:45 11
    03:00 9
    08:00 6
    13:15 4
    15:45 2

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to make VLOOKUP work for this

    Yeah, just use it with a lookup type of TRUE

    =VLOOKUP(A1,$K$1:$M$30,2,TRUE)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    DavidJ726
    Guest

    Re: How to make VLOOKUP work for this

    Hi Bob,

    Thanks for the response. It works, sort of... I had to change the
    condition to FALSE so it would only return a value if it was an exact match.
    Otherwise it was giving inaccurate results in all cells. Also, is there a
    way to supress the #N/A error message? I'm looking at the IF ISERROR and
    other search results, but not sure if that will work.

    What the ideal situation would be, is if there was a way to enter the value
    in the cells without having to have the formula in the cells. My goal is to
    reference those values in a chart with some other data and I'm not sure how
    to do that yet with the formulas and error messages. I've had to do
    something like that in the past with IF statements (I think)... but I'll
    cross that bridge when I get to it.

    Thanks again,
    David

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to make VLOOKUP work for this

    David,

    You would so that with

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,$K$1:$M$30,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,$K$1:$M$30,2,TRUE))

    but how would you find 1 sec, 2 secs etc. ? I assumed that your table had
    batches of values, and they would match many to one.

    The other way would need VBA code to achieve that, assuming that you mean
    you will use those values in your chart.