Filtering (I'm guessing)

  1. #1
    Filtering (I'm guessing)
    Guest

    Filtering (I'm guessing)

    Anybody know how I would extract Excel cells that contain a specific item of
    information?

    For example: I would like to extract the cells below that contain the word
    "dog":
    Cell B1 --> cat, dog, fish
    Cell B2 --> cat, fish, cat
    Cell B3 --> dog, fish, cat
    Cell B4 --> fish, dog, fish
    Cell B5 --> cat, cat, fish

    Is there a comand that would extract cells B1, B3, B4 that contain the word
    "dog"?

    Thanks, Mike

  2. #2
    Miguel Zapico
    Guest

    RE: Filtering (I'm guessing)

    Depending on what you mean with "Extract". This formula in column C will
    show a different value if there is a dog in column B or not:
    =IF(ISERROR(FIND("dog",B1)),"No dog","Dog found")
    Is this what you are looking for?
    Miguel.

  3. #3
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Filtering (I'm guessing)

    Select your column of data. From the Data Menu, select Filter, then
    AutoFilter.

    You should now see a dropdown arrow in the header row of your column.

    Click the arrow, then select "Custom" from the list. Change the selection
    to "Contains" and then type in "dog".

    HTH,
    Elkar

  4. #4
    Filtering (I''m guessing)
    Guest

    RE: Filtering (I'm guessing)

    Elker,

    Thank you. You were right on the money.

    Mike

  5. #5
    Filtering (I''m guessing)
    Guest

    RE: Filtering (I'm guessing)

    Miquel,

    Thanks, I'll work with it. I see the approach that you are taking.

    Mike