How can you get Excel to sort numbers with alpha suffixes? 1234A

  1. #1
    boneified5
    Guest

    How can you get Excel to sort numbers with alpha suffixes? 1234A

    How can you get Excel to sort numbers with alpha suffixes? Example: 1234A
    I need to have Excel sort numericaly and not put the numbers with alpha
    characters at the bottom but keep them in order like this: 1234 1234A
    1234B 1235.
    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: How can you get Excel to sort numbers with alpha suffixes? 1234A

    Sounds like you need 'helper columns' with something like
    =LEFT(A1,4) in one and RIGHT(A1.1) in another
    The sort using the first and second columns as the 'keys'
    When done, you can delete the helpers
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme