pivot table layout

  1. #1
    appleknocker
    Guest

    pivot table layout

    I can't get the table to layout the way I want it to

    Data

    Row Col
    a b c d e f
    aa 1 1 1 1 1 1
    ab 2 2 2 2 2 2
    aa 3 3 3 3 3 3
    ab 4 4 4 4 4 4
    ac 5 5 5 5 5 5
    af 6 6 6 6 6 6

    I want to group the rows that are common and sum the colums in like rows.
    The report result (summing the columns) should look like this

    a b c d e f
    aa 4 4 4 4 4 4
    ab 6 6 6 6 6 6
    ac 5 5 5 5 5 5
    af 6 6 6 6 6 6

    I do I make this happen in pivot table?

    Jim Roth

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: pivot table layout

    Jim:

    Given the structure you posted, you won't be able to get a Pivot Table laid
    out the way you want.....but....

    You WILL get that layout if you use Data Consolidation:

    <data><consolidate>
    Select your data range....click the [ADD] button
    Use Labels in...
    Check: Top Row
    Check: Left Column
    Click the [OK] button

    OR

    If you format your data this way, the Pivot Table will work:
    Dbl Sgl Value
    aa a 1
    ab a 2
    aa a 3
    .. . .
    .. . .
    .. . .
    ab f 4
    ac f 5
    af f 6

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  3. #3
    Joe Mac
    Guest

    RE: pivot table layout

    Hey Ron...

    You can use the Pivot table to get the results that you want... First you
    have to lable the first column... the Pivot table will not recognize a blank
    cell as a column or row header...
    Assuming you have the data laid out in columns/rows "A1:G7", then enter a
    label name in cell A1 (Call it List Label for this dialogue)... the pivot
    table will create named values for each column, create the Pivot Table using
    this range, the Pivot Table will provide you with the list of the column
    headers to position in the Drop Areas... drag the List Lable to the Rows
    area of the Pivot Table, then drag each of the remaining columns into the
    Data Area of the Pivot Table... finally once the Pivot Table is set up, it
    will be in a column structure, simply drag the "Data" label from the Pivot
    Table and drag it into the Cloumns Drop Area and you will have the results
    that you are looking for...
    --
    Thanks for your help -
    Joe Mac

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: pivot table layout

    True, Joe (I use that technique at least once a week and didn't think of
    it. DOH!)

    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP