help with excel needed http://www.excelforum.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

  1. #1

    help with excel needed http://www.excelforum.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

    HI all you excel wizo's
    How can I create a spreadsheet to model a performance related pay increases, within difference pay bands, with staff turnover over 5 years expected to be reduced from 20% to 16% each year how would I model a radom selection of staff across banding within turnover parameters each year?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Puppet_Sock
    Guest

    Re: help with excel needed http://www.excelforum.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

    boggle wrote:
    > HI all you excel wizo's
    > How can I create a spreadsheet to model a performance related pay
    > increases, within difference pay bands, with staff turnover over 5
    > years expected to be reduced from 20% to 16% each year how would I
    > model a radom selection of staff across banding within turnover
    > parameters each year?

    You would hire me to do it. My rebillable is $85/hr, and I do great
    work.
    Socks

  3. #3
    Thanks - any advice as to where to start??

    boggle

  4. #4
    Puppet_Sock

    boggle wrote:
    > Thanks - any advice as to where to start??

    Step one: Quote enough of the message you are responding to so that
    people have some vague clue what is going on. If you are working on
    google groups, click the Options link then the reply link that shows
    up.
    It will quote the message you are responding to for you.

    Next: You have a fairly complicated sounding app to create. If you
    want help with specific questions, fine, come on back and ask.
    But "how do I write an Excel app with this vague but complicated
    spec" is not a reasonable question to be asking.

    Sit down and write yourself a spec. Make it as detailed and specific
    as possible. Start with defining the task in "people space." That is,
    do it in terms of the technical terms of the task, not the technical
    terms of computer things, not in terms of stuff in Excel. Solve the
    problem in "problem space" first.

    When you have a detailed spec, and when you have agreement
    from the people who are paying you (or the people who are marking
    your assignment or whatever) then go on to the design in Excel.

    At that point, you start to have trouble if you've never done anything
    in Excel before. You might consider reading a book (or two or three)
    on developing Excel apps. There are many on the shelves. Browse
    them and find one at your ability level. Then pick one just easier
    and one just harder and buy all three.

    And if that sounds like too much work, then you will need to hire
    it done. That $85/hour I mentioned is a good deal.
    Socks

  5. #5
    Hi socks

    That's great - I'll need to rethink what aspects of the model I need help with and come back -- cool