Too many formatted cells error message

  1. #1

    Too many formatted cells error message

    I have 1.25mb file, mostly data, and some macro buttons, no fancy formulas. When I attempted to merge a cell, received the error message. After I saved and reopened, the file was corrupted.
    What is the solution/prevention for this on new files?

  2. #2

    Re: Too many formatted cells error message

    Use fewer formats???

    And as a personal preference I do my best to stay away from merged cells.

    Maybe...

    XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats

    A few people have said that OpenOffice.Org has been able to open the file. Then
    they clean it up and save it there. Then excel can open that cleaned up
    version.

    http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-104 meg download or a CD

    =====
    If you still have your older version, you may want to see if OpenOffice can
    "de-corrupt" it.