clearing blanks in drop-down list

  1. #1
    Richard Walker
    Guest

    clearing blanks in drop-down list

    I have a spreadsheet with a "Administrative" sheet in it and form sheets.
    The administrative sheet contains lists that in turn populate drop-downs in
    the form sheets.

    Since the spreadsheet will be administrated by people who don't necessarily
    know much about excel, I have a column of about 30 rows named for each list.
    The administrator can enter drop-down list data in each list. However, there
    will never be 30 items in the list. There may be only 5 or six. Now for my
    two questions:

    1. How do I only show non-blank items in the drop-down?

    2. How do I ensure that the first item shown in the drop-down is the top
    item in the list?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: clearing blanks in drop-down list

    Richard, try using data validation - allow - list, and check ignore blanks
    on the same dialog box (Excel 2003). Also, check out the Contextures site:

    Sincerely, Michael Colvin