Rounding times to the nearest 15 minutes in Excel

  1. #1
    BuckeyeWMV
    Guest

    Rounding times to the nearest 15 minutes in Excel

    How do I round times to the nearest 15 minutes. I have a time in cell A1
    (7:53) and would like the rounded time to be in B2 (rounded to 8:00).

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    =ROUND(A1*96,0)/96

    Should work

    Regards

    Dav

  3. #3
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    try
    =INT((A1+0.005208)/0.01041666666667)*0.01041666666667

    note that this rounds up or down based on above or below a seven minute interval

  4. #4
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Rounding times to the nearest 15 minutes in Excel

    =ROUND(((A1)/"0:15"),0)*"0:15"

    Cheers
    --
    AP

    message de news: [email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Rounding times to the nearest 15 minutes in Excel

    Try one of these:

    For a time in A1

    This one rounds to the NEAREST multiple of 15 minutes
    B1: =MROUND(A1,1/24/4)

    If this function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error, install and
    load the Analysis ToolPak add-in.

    or
    This one does the same thing as the MROUND function, but doesn't need the
    ATP installed:
    B1: =ROUND(A1*(24*4),0)/(24*4)

    or
    This one rounds UP to the NEXT multiple of 15 minutes
    B1: =CEILING(A1,1/24/4)

    Note:
    24*4 equals the number of 15 min intervals in a day
    1/24/4 equals on fourth of one 24th of a day

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Rounding times to the nearest 15 minutes in Excel

    =MROUND(A1,1/24/4)

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  7. #7
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    One of the great things about this site is having your preconcieved ideas challenged. Even with apparantly simple tasks.

  8. #8
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Rounding times to the nearest 15 minutes in Excel

    "BuckeyeWMV" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How do I round times to the nearest 15 minutes. I have a time in cell A1
    > (7:53) and would like the rounded time to be in B2 (rounded to 8:00).

    =MROUND(A11,1/(24*4))
    and format as h:mm

    Note that MROUND needs the Analysis ToolPak
    --
    David Biddulph