Performance not upto Office 2003 standards in Office 2007

  1. #1
    Mangal Singh
    Guest

    Performance not upto Office 2003 standards in Office 2007

    I tried opening some of my 2003 spreadsheets with 3D graphs in Excel 2007 and
    the performance is painfully slow. The graph colors changed and it lost the
    feature where I could rotate the graph on it's edges and view the 3D graph
    from many angles.

    Also, everytime I make the slightest change the redrawing takes almost 30
    secs to a minute. I have a decent machine 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2 and
    the program performance should be better than what it is now. I know that
    this is a beta software but I thought I still need to point it out.

    Mangal

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: Performance not upto Office 2003 standards in Office 2007

    If you have a legal copy of 2007 you should know there is a PW protected
    newsgroup for beta testers

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  3. #3
    Mangal Singh
    Guest

    RE: Performance not upto Office 2003 standards in Office 2007

    I looked at http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups and found this
    group to be the most appropriate forum. Sometimes it does get really hard to
    find the appropriate forum to bring up those issues. I think MS hasn't
    updated all the links for this Office 2007 beta release.

    Mangal

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: Performance not upto Office 2003 standards in Office 2007

    If you are a beta tester you should have gotten an email with all the info on
    how to
    log on to microsoft's beta web site, there you can get the necessary passwords
    and instructions on how to use those newsgroups and download the latest beta.

    Peo

  5. #5
    Mangal Singh
    Guest

    RE: Performance not upto Office 2003 standards in Office 2007

    Not for the public beta release that happened yesterday. No emails, nothing.
    If I had received an email I wouldn't be writing here now, would I?

    Mangal

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Performance not upto Office 2003 standards in Office 2007

    That would depend on if you are a legal beta tester or if you have an
    illegal copy, wouldn't it?
    Regardless, I am talking about beta 1, the version you are using, those
    emails went out over 6 months ago

    Peo

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Mangal Singh
    Guest

    Re: Performance not upto Office 2003 standards in Office 2007

    I don't know what gives you the idea that I'm using beta 1. And what do you
    mean by legal. I don't know where you live but pretty much the whole world
    can now "legally" download the office 2007 beta 2 from Microsoft's site. So
    your comments have been anything but helpful. Instead, you've managed to draw
    me into this unnecessary argument about legal and illegal beta. Again, let me
    emphasize, a public beta version was released yesterday (05/23/2006). I'm
    talking about that. It was a straight download without any information about
    a special newsgroup or any such thing. I guess that clarifies things for you.

    Mangal

  8. #8
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Performance not upto Office 2003 standards in Office 2007

    You are right, I apologize. I truly didn't know it was available for anyone,
    I thought it was the same as with beta1.

    Peo Sjoblom

  9. #9
    Mangal Singh
    Guest

    Re: Performance not upto Office 2003 standards in Office 2007

    Nevermind, we've all been guilty of speaking without knowing sometime or the
    other.

    Mangal

  10. #10
    cmcarthy
    Guest

    RE: Performance not upto Office 2003 standards in Office 2007

    I'm having the exact problem! Every program hangs! I live in Outlook so this
    is making me consider going back to Office 2003.

  11. #11
    Roady [MVP]
    Guest

    Re: Performance not upto Office 2003 standards in Office 2007

    I explained performance issues here before already;

    Running it here and it uses "only" 64MB. Total memory usage also depends on
    how many add-ins you have running. These will all disguise under the
    outlook.exe process. Note that memory management works differently and it
    depends on how many free RAM you have. As long as there is still RAM
    available and no other application requests it there is no reason to return
    this memory even when what Outlook keeps in RAM currently isn't being used.
    This way when you do use it Outlook will respond faster. If another
    application requests the memory and Outlook isn't actively using the memory
    it's "hogging" it will be returned to the system which it will assign it to
    the other application. In addition note that BETA products will use more
    memory than final products since there hasn't been done much code
    optimization in a BETA.

    As for the slowness; especially on first startup it is slow since Outlook
    converts a whole bunch of stuff. The indexer will slow down Outlook a bit as
    well but once the initial index have been built speed will return (typing in
    Outlook lagged for over a second directly after installation of BETA 2 for
    me). And again; it's BETA, reponsiveness isn't indicative for the final
    product yet. This will start at RC1 level.

    --
    Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/

    -----
    news:[email protected]...

  12. #12
    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
    Guest

    Re: Performance not upto Office 2003 standards in Office 2007

    From the Office 2007 Beta site
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...tthebeta.mspx:

    About Beta Software
    a.. Registration is required for participation.
    b.. 2007 Microsoft Office system Beta 2 is for evaluation and planning
    purposes only.
    c.. Beta software does not necessarily display the same high level of
    stability of shipped Microsoft products.
    d.. Beta testers may experience problems with 2007 Microsoft Office system
    Beta 2 products that could potentially result in loss, corruption, or
    destruction of existing data.
    e.. This beta testing release is not appropriate for production use.
    f.. It is strongly recommended that you back up your existing data before
    you install and run this software.
    g.. Beta code is offered "as is," and does not include technical support.
    h.. Many organizations have policies prohibiting unauthorized software
    installation on company-owned computers. Make sure you check with your IT
    department before downloading and installing 2007 Microsoft Office system
    Beta 2 on your computer at work.
    Please note bullets 4 & 5.

    --
    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

    reading.

    After furious head scratching, cmcarthy asked: