Hide a specific number in a cell

  1. #1
    Rhondarp
    Guest

    Hide a specific number in a cell

    Hi, I need to sort a list by priority. However, I will not be using a
    "Priority" column.

    I will be sorting this list first by "Contributor" and then by "Category".
    It is within the "Category" that I need to prioritize without making visible
    changes to the category value. Therefore, in order to display the rows as
    needed, I need to insert a '1' in front of the category name for the top
    priority, '2' for the second priority and so forth (e.g., 1Support, 2Support,
    3Firewall, etc. Therefore, regardless if the "Category" values are the same
    or different, they will always sort in order of the "Priority" number that I
    put there.

    My problem is that I don't want the number to display or print. Just the
    "Category" names.

    Can someone help or provide a better solution? Thank you so much.

  2. #2

    Re: Hide a specific number in a cell

    How about just putting that code into another cell in another column?

    You could even hide the column when you wanted to.

  3. #3
    Rhondarp
    Guest

    Re: Hide a specific number in a cell

    The problem is that in order for that to work, whoever was working with the
    spreadsheet would have to remember to sort by a hidden column. I need to
    keep the sort simple as possible.

  4. #4
    Dominic LeVasseur
    Guest

    Re: Hide a specific number in a cell

    You could create a custom list.

    Tools:Options:Custom Lists

    Then when you sort choose:

    Data:Sort:Options, and choose the custom list from the drop down.

    Not transparent like you would like, but it is a possibility.

    HTH

  5. #5
    Elkar
    Guest

    Re: Hide a specific number in a cell

    I think Dave's solution is probably the least confusing, but here's another
    option:

    If your Categories are simply text entries (not formula results) you could
    change the text color of the number to match the background. For example,
    1Support, you'd highlight just the 1 and change text color to white. That
    way, the number is still present for sorting, and will be visible in the
    Formula Bar, but will not show up on the spreadsheet (assuming white
    background also).

    HTH,
    Elkar

  6. #6
    Rhondarp
    Guest

    Re: Hide a specific number in a cell

    That worked!! The cells are acutally colored, so I changed the text color to
    match the background. Now, only the text shows and they sort properly.

    Granted, it is not as robust as a "hide character" function, but it will get
    the job done! Thank you very much!

  7. #7
    Rhondarp
    Guest

    Re: Hide a specific number in a cell

    I didn't use this due to lack of time, but I am going to investigate it
    further. Sounds like a lot of possibilities. Lists are awesome if you know
    what all they can do.

    Have a great day. Thank you!