Do the values in a range of cells include all members of a set?

  1. #1
    Dave
    Guest

    Do the values in a range of cells include all members of a set?

    Suppose I'm assigning basebal positions with the set of strings, P, C, 1, 2,
    3, SS, LF, CF, RF. After I've entered the 9 assignments, I want an
    indication that I have covered all 9 positions. I can have 9 nested if/match
    functions, but it seems like there should be a better way.

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Do the values in a range of cells include all members of a set?

    --
    HTH,
    Bernie

  3. #3
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Do the values in a range of cells include all members of a set?

    Dave,

    Aaargh - sorry about that empty message.

    Use a combination of Data Validation and another cell with a formula.

    Let's say that you have your list of positions in a range named "Positions", and your first cell for
    entering the positions is cell E2, with the list extending down column E, to say, cell E25.
    Initially, all cells are blank.. Select the cells E2:E25, select Data / Validation... select
    custom, and use the formula

    =AND(NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(E2,Positions,FALSE))),COUNTIF($E2:$E$25,E2)=1)

    Also make sure that you check "Ignore Blanks" on the dialog.

    Then in another cell, use the formula

    =COUNTA(E2:E25) & " positions assigned"

    and you are all done.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: Do the values in a range of cells include all members of a set

    Thanks Bernie!

    That helps prevent me from entering an invalid position and that is helpful.
    But I what I really want to prevent is entering the same position more than
    once.

  5. #5
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Do the values in a range of cells include all members of a set

    The formula will prevent entering the same value twice.... the "COUNTIF($E2:$E$25,E2)=1" part does
    that - try it....

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

  6. #6
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: Do the values in a range of cells include all members of a set

    Doh! I had been using E1 instead of E2 but pasted your formula...

    Building on your example, I used the list instead of custom for validation
    and Custom formatting to highlight when I had a duplicate entered.

    Thanks again!