Strange vlookup problem

  1. #1

    Strange vlookup problem

    Hello,

    I have vlookup problem which I cant solve. Any help would be appreciated.

    I have two separate sheets. In one I have 2000 cells with coresponding descriptions and in another some 300 with descriptions. ( So 2000*2 and 300*2 cells). I want to find corespodnig descriptions for items that are included in both sheets. ( My estimate is, that is around 200 items. )

    I have set up vlookup funkcion and it only works for 20 descriptions of 300. Its strange, since I have checked and I have cells marked as text so this is not the problem.

    Why does formula work fore some cells and not for another ? And yes. I have cells in ascending order.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Forum Expert mrice's Avatar
    Surrey, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013
    Posts
    4,967

    Response

    Have you checked that the range that you are looking in is addressed absolutely (i.e. with $ signs). I've seen cases where relative addresses have been used and misteriously VLOOKUP appears to shop working once you get away from the top of the sheet.
    Martin

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mrice
    Have you checked that the range that you are looking in is addressed absolutely (i.e. with $ signs). I've seen cases where relative addresses have been used and misteriously VLOOKUP appears to shop working once you get away from the top of the sheet.
    Hey,

    Thank you for your help.

    I checked and yes, ... I have $ signs so my problem is still here.

    Cheers

  4. #4
    Toppers
    Guest

    Re: Strange vlookup problem

    Check for extraneous blanks or non-printable characters.

  5. #5

    Re: Strange vlookup problem

    Just because a cell is formatted as text doesn't mean that its value is text.

    If you have a couple of extra cells, you can use these kinds of formulas to
    verify your data:

    =count(a1:a10)
    to count the numbers in a1:a10

    =counta(a1:a10)
    to count anything (formulas/values/text/numbers) in a1:a10

    =isnumber(a1)
    returns true if a1 is a number

    =istext(a1)
    returns true if a1 is text (not empty and not a number)