Linking Multiple Source Columns To A Single Destination Column

  1. #1

    Linking Multiple Source Columns To A Single Destination Column

    From reading other threads, I learned how to reference or link a source column to a destination column on a different sheet within a workbook. ie. =Sheet1!A:A

    My question is, How do I link multiple source columns to a single destination column? So any data typed in any of the specified source columns on sheets 1-6 will automatically appear in the next available cell in the destination column for sheet 7.

    Kind of like =Sheet1!A:A =Sheet2!A:A =Sheet3!A:A =Sheet4!A:A =Sheet5!A:A, etc... for the destination column.

    If I am making any sense.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by excelnooby; 05-31-2006 at 01:24 PM.

  2. #2
    Puppet_Sock
    Guest

    Re: Linking Multiple Source Columns To A Single Destination Column

    excelnooby wrote:
    > From reading other threads, I learned how to reference or link a source
    > column to a destination column on a different sheet within a workbook.
    > ie. =Sheet1!A:A
    >
    > My question is, How do I link multiple source columns to a single
    > destination column? So any data typed in any of the specified source
    > columns on sheets 1-6 will automatically appear in the next available
    > cell in the destination column for sheet 7.
    >
    > If I am making any sense.

    Not clear sense.

    It's always easier to specify in detail what you want to do, rather
    than thrash around seeing what you are able to do.

    It seems like you want Excel to detect that you've typed new data
    and link it into a new column that was not previously linked. So,
    suppose you start out with nothing typed. Then the user types,
    on sheet3, in cell A1, the text "first" and then looks to see what
    that does. Do you want that in Sheet 7, cell A1? Do you want
    Excel to notice this change and add the link itself? Or do you want
    the link to be pre-existing?

    So, let's go on from where we were. The word "first" is in Sheet3!A1.
    The user now flips over to Sheet5, and in cell A1, types the text
    "second" and looks to see where that goes. What do you want
    to appear on Sheet7, and where? And, again, do you want Excel
    to notice this change and add the link? Or do you want the link
    to be pre-existing?

    So, now you should see the idea. When the user adds new text,
    on any sheet in any cell, what do you want to appear on Sheet7?
    And where? And do you want this link to be pre-existing or do
    you want Excel to detect the change and add the link?

    If you want it pre-existing, presumably stuff in, for example,
    Sheet3!B6 always goes to the same place on Sheet7. If it
    does go. That should be fairly simple, you just add the links
    as you've already got that will put the text where you want it.

    If you want Excel to detect the change and add the link, then
    you need to handle events. For starters, use the macro recorder
    to record adding a link of the type you want. That will give you
    some good hints how to add links through VBA code. Then
    look up how to handle events, either in the on-line helps or
    back through the google group microsoft.public.excel.
    Socks

  3. #3
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: Linking Multiple Source Columns To A Single Destination Column

    What you want could be done with a piece of VBA code, not regulat Excel
    functions.

    Cheers
    --
    AP

    [email protected]...

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppet_Sock
    excelnooby wrote:
    > From reading other threads, I learned how to reference or link a source
    > column to a destination column on a different sheet within a workbook.
    > ie. =Sheet1!A:A
    >
    > My question is, How do I link multiple source columns to a single
    > destination column? So any data typed in any of the specified source
    > columns on sheets 1-6 will automatically appear in the next available
    > cell in the destination column for sheet 7.
    >
    > If I am making any sense.

    Not clear sense.

    It's always easier to specify in detail what you want to do, rather
    than thrash around seeing what you are able to do.

    It seems like you want Excel to detect that you've typed new data
    and link it into a new column that was not previously linked. So,
    suppose you start out with nothing typed. Then the user types,
    on sheet3, in cell A1, the text "first" and then looks to see what
    that does. Do you want that in Sheet 7, cell A1? Do you want
    Excel to notice this change and add the link itself? Or do you want
    the link to be pre-existing?

    So, let's go on from where we were. The word "first" is in Sheet3!A1.
    The user now flips over to Sheet5, and in cell A1, types the text
    "second" and looks to see where that goes. What do you want
    to appear on Sheet7, and where? And, again, do you want Excel
    to notice this change and add the link? Or do you want the link
    to be pre-existing?

    So, now you should see the idea. When the user adds new text,
    on any sheet in any cell, what do you want to appear on Sheet7?
    And where? And do you want this link to be pre-existing or do
    you want Excel to detect the change and add the link?

    If you want it pre-existing, presumably stuff in, for example,
    Sheet3!B6 always goes to the same place on Sheet7. If it
    does go. That should be fairly simple, you just add the links
    as you've already got that will put the text where you want it.

    If you want Excel to detect the change and add the link, then
    you need to handle events. For starters, use the macro recorder
    to record adding a link of the type you want. That will give you
    some good hints how to add links through VBA code. Then
    look up how to handle events, either in the on-line helps or
    back through the google group microsoft.public.excel.
    Socks

    yikes....me thinks i am in way over my head. what I was trying to do was link column A on sheets 1-6 so that any data typed into any cell on column A on any of the 1-6 sheets will also automatically appear on column A on sheet 7 on the next available blank cell.

    SO for example...If I make an entry on Sheet 1 Column A Cell 5 it will automatically appear on Sheet 7 Column A Cell (whatever the next blank one is could 5 or 500). If I make an entry on Sheet 4 Column A Cell 400 it will automatically appear on Sheet 7 Column A Cell (whatever the next available blank cell is).

    So the next available blank cell on Column A on sheet 7 is always the destination. The source is always any cells on Column A on sheets 1-6.

    VBA code is waaaay over my head. But thanks for the help AP & Socks!!!

  5. #5

    Re: Linking Multiple Source Columns To A Single Destination Column

    can't you just refer to the other cells?

    i would reccomend not using excel, excel sucks

    learn a database and maybe you won't be stuck working for $20/hour

    -Aaron

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Somewhere....out there.....
    Anybody else notice how stupid Aaron's replies are?