Autofill upwards!!!!!

  1. #1
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000

    Autofill upwards!!!!!

    I have a spreadsheet with 3 columns of data as follows

    Col 1 Col 2 Col 3
    Store Stock Item Sales
    Item 1 22
    Item 2 322
    Item 3 16
    Store 1 360
    Item 1 11
    Item 2 122
    Item 3 46
    Item 4 31
    Store 2 210
    etc

    I have 2500+ rows of data so how can I easily get the store name to autofill upwards so it appears alongside each stock item, without copy/paste or dragging each one individually, so that I can then run a pivot table on the data

    Note that each store does not necessarily carry the same number of stock items

    Thanks in advance

    Paul
    Last edited by Paul Sheppard; 06-01-2006 at 09:10 AM.
    Paul

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Autofill upwards!!!!!

    Try this:

    Select the column with Store Names

    From the Excel main menu:
    <edit><goto>...Click the [special cells] button
    Check: Blanks...Click the [OK] button
    (Now all of the blank cells are selected)

    Press the [=] key
    Press the down arrow ONE time
    Hold down the [ctrl] key and press [enter]

    Now the formerly blank cells should display the correct Store Name
    Select that column of cells
    <edit><copy>

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  3. #3
    hans bal(nl)
    Guest

    RE: Autofill upwards!!!!!

    You can use a formula, but you will have to start from the bottom of the sheet.

    Steps:

    Insert a column before Col 1
    Go to the end of the list
    Assume that row 100 is the last row in your sheet enter in Cell A100 the
    formula :

    =If(C100="",B100,B101)
    Copy this formula upwards and you will have the Store ID before each item.

    HTH

    Hans

  4. #4
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Thanks Ron, that worked perfectly it will save me a bundle of time every month when I need to manipulate the data for my reports

    Would that also work if the store name was at the top and i wanted to fill down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Coderre
    Try this:

    Select the column with Store Names

    From the Excel main menu:

    "Paul Sheppard" wrote:

    > I have a spreadsheet with 3 columns of data as follows
    >
    > Col 1 Col 2 Col 3
    > Store Stock Item Sales
    > Item 1 22
    > Item 2 322
    > Item 3 16
    > Store 1 360
    > Item 1 11
    > Item 2 122
    > Item 3 46
    > Item 4 31
    > Store 2 210
    > etc
    >
    > How can I easily get the store name to autofill upwards so it appears
    > alongside each stock item, without copy/paste or dragging each one
    > individually, so that I can then run a pivot table on the data
    >
    > Note that each store does not necessarily carry the same number of
    > stock items
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Paul
    >

    > --
    > Paul Sheppard

    > Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=547424

    Last edited by Paul Sheppard; 06-01-2006 at 09:34 AM.

  5. #5
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: Autofill upwards!!!!!

    Thanks for the feedback....I'm glad that worked for you.

    Yes...that method also works for filling from the top.
    In that case, though, you'd use the UP arrow in the formula, instead of the
    DOWN arrow.

    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP