Annoying automatic date-formatting on import... how to remove it?

  1. #1
    Jose McNach
    Guest

    Annoying automatic date-formatting on import... how to remove it?

    I'm using Excel to import tab-delimited text files containing a large
    number of rows and columns. The data are mostly numerical, but some are
    text.

    Somehow, Excel insists in renaming certain values as if they were
    dates. For instance I have a column with gene names, some of which with
    names like "SEP10" or "DEC7"... and Excel sees that as a date and turns
    it into "10-Sep"... In other cases renames entries such as "3-24" as
    "24-Mar"...

    How can I turn off EVERY automatic "intelligent" feature in Excel so
    that it just takes what I feed it? I have gone through every menu
    turning off automatic formatting and everything I could see... but that
    behaviour remains.

    I'm sure there must be a way to import these data so that numbers are
    treated like numbers, and everything else as text... but I can't find
    how, and I am finding it very frustrating.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    Jose

  2. #2
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Annoying automatic date-formatting on import... how to remove it?

    "Jose McNach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm using Excel to import tab-delimited text files containing a large
    > number of rows and columns. The data are mostly numerical, but some are
    > text.
    >
    > Somehow, Excel insists in renaming certain values as if they were
    > dates. For instance I have a column with gene names, some of which with
    > names like "SEP10" or "DEC7"... and Excel sees that as a date and turns
    > it into "10-Sep"... In other cases renames entries such as "3-24" as
    > "24-Mar"...
    >
    > How can I turn off EVERY automatic "intelligent" feature in Excel so
    > that it just takes what I feed it? I have gone through every menu
    > turning off automatic formatting and everything I could see... but that
    > behaviour remains.
    >
    > I'm sure there must be a way to import these data so that numbers are
    > treated like numbers, and everything else as text... but I can't find
    > how, and I am finding it very frustrating.

    When you open the text file, the wizard should give you the opportunity to
    select the format for each column.
    --
    David Biddulph

  3. #3
    Jose McNach

    David Biddulph wrote:
    > "Jose McNach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm using Excel to import tab-delimited text files containing a large
    > > number of rows and columns. The data are mostly numerical, but some are
    > > text.
    > >
    > > Somehow, Excel insists in renaming certain values as if they were
    > > dates. For instance I have a column with gene names, some of which with
    > > names like "SEP10" or "DEC7"... and Excel sees that as a date and turns
    > > it into "10-Sep"... In other cases renames entries such as "3-24" as
    > > "24-Mar"...
    > >
    > > How can I turn off EVERY automatic "intelligent" feature in Excel so
    > > that it just takes what I feed it? I have gone through every menu
    > > turning off automatic formatting and everything I could see... but that
    > > behaviour remains.
    > >
    > > I'm sure there must be a way to import these data so that numbers are
    > > treated like numbers, and everything else as text... but I can't find
    > > how, and I am finding it very frustrating.

    > When you open the text file, the wizard should give you the opportunity to
    > select the format for each column.
    > --
    > David Biddulph

    That's if I open it from Excel, and if the extension name hasn't been
    set to open with Excel (a nice little shortcut, adding different
    extension names depending on what kind of data I have...). So, yes,
    there are ways to get around the issue... but none very satisfactory.
    I'm all for having the possibility for software guessing and helping
    our formats etc... but there should always be an option to NOT do
    anything but take the data as it is.

    Thanks for your reply, David.

    Jose