math question

  1. #1

    math question

    Is there a way that I can force values in a table to be divisible by
    12? This might be a simple question but it's more than I can figure
    out. Any help is much appreciated!!!

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: math question

    Hi
    Use Data/Validation - with Custom option. Select your column (say, H) and
    input
    =INT(H1/12)=H/12

    Hope this helps.
    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jeff Standen
    Guest

    Re: math question

    Hi,

    You're going to have to give a little more detail - where is the data in the
    table coming from? Are you talking about random multiples of 12, or rounding
    to the nearest multiple of 12? Or something else?

    Jeff

  4. #4
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: math question

    Data | Validation with a custom function like:

    =MOD(A1,12)=0

    might be another option.

    --
    HTH. :>)
    Dana DeLouis

  5. #5
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: math question

    Let's say you have a table of values in column A from A1 thru A100. Let's
    say some are evenly divisible by 12 and some are not. If you want to change
    this into a table of numbers divisble 12 then:

    1. in an un-used cell enter 12
    2. copy the cell
    3. select cells A1 thru A100
    4. Edit > Paste Special > check the multiply box

    If an orignal number were 3, it would become 36, which is evenly divisible
    by 12. This will work if the original values in A1 thru A100 were integers.
    If the original numbers in A1 thru A100 are not integers, then perform steps
    1 thru 3 and paste rather than paste special.

    This will put the number 12 in the cells from A1 thru A100. Twelve is
    always evenly divisible by twelve

    --
    Gary's Student