VLOOKUP *Left* Value

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    jim
    Guest

    VLOOKUP *Left* Value

    Is there a way to lookup a value in a column and return the
    corresponding value in the *left* column? I'm familiar with VLOOKUP,
    but didn't know if there's an alternative to re-ordering all of my
    data.

    Thanks for any insight.

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP *Left* Value

    Use INDEX/MATCH instead:
    =INDEX(D1:D100,MATCH(A1,E1:100))

    will search for A1 in E1:E100 and return corresonding value in column D

    AP

    [email protected]...

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP *Left* Value

    Hi

    Have a look at using INDEX and MATCH together. I would suggest either Excel
    Help or this newsgroup. Something like this format:
    =INDEX(D12:D20,MATCH("f",E12:E20,0))

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    jim
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP *Left* Value

    I'll give these a try. Thanks folks.

    Jim

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP *Left* Value

    Where your regular VLOOKUP table is in H1:I5, and your new list to the left
    is in G1:G5, then put this in B1 to lookup any value in A1

    =INDEX(G:G,MATCH(VLOOKUP(A1,H:H,1,FALSE),H:I,0))

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3