Calculating fields in pivot tables

  1. #1

    Calculating fields in pivot tables

    Can anyone help me.

    I have used pivot tables a bit, but I am trying to get to grips with them a bit more and I have hit a stumbling block.

    I have a set of data which has two columns, one for reference which is a unique job number, one for customer where numourous jobs can be for each customer and a total profit for each job.

    The pivot table I have built shows the total profit for each customer and the number of jobs (using a count on reference) per customer.

    What I want to do is enter a calculated field which divides the total profit for the customer by the number of jobs to give me an average job profit for each customer.

    I have tried =Sum('Gross Profit')/Count('Job Ref') but that just returns the gross profit by customer number.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks

    Simon

  2. #2
    hans bal(nl)
    Guest

    RE: Calculating fields in pivot tables

    Suggest you do this :

    Select your table and creat a pivot table.

    Drag customer field to the row field area
    Drag the gross profit field to the data field area 3 times.
    You will see the data field sum of gross profit 2 and 3.
    Right click on these fields and choose field settings
    Change the settings in "count of gross profit" for #2 and "average of gross
    profit" for # 3. The drag the grey field Data to the total column.

    You will now get something that looks like this :

    Data
    Customer Sum of Gross Profit Count of Gross Profit2 Average of Gross Profit2
    Jan 1357 3 452.3333333
    Piet 1011 2 505.5
    Grand Total 2368 5 473.6

    HTH