How can I save a pivot table layout?

  1. #1
    Rob B
    Guest

    How can I save a pivot table layout?

    I am cleaning Excel worksheets for input into another program (Recorder 6). I
    have found a routine involving pivot tables which does the best job, however
    I need to run the wizard for each new sheet. Is there a way of saving the
    pivot table layout & then simply run it for each new workbook?

    There are usually 100 columns of up to 10 rows (after a transition) involved
    here, each of which apparently needs to be manually edited (from 'count of'
    to 'Sum of' ) in order to work.

    Cheers now, Rob

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How can I save a pivot table layout?

    It's not clear what you're doing, but perhaps you could turn on the
    macro recorder while you run the wizard on one worksheet, and make the
    changes.
    Then, run the recorded macro on a copy of another sheet, to see if it
    works the way you want.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  3. #3
    Rob B
    Guest

    Re: How can I save a pivot table layout?

    Hi ,

    sorry, but I've no idea how to use macros- I tried & nothing happened.

    The source data looks like this:
    COMPARTMENT 1 2 3 4 5
    B-headed Gull
    Black Grouse
    Blackbird
    Blackcap
    Blue Tit 8 4
    Brambling 3
    Bullfinch

    With various headers etc. I need the cleaned version to look like this:

    Species Date Location Abundance Weather/Comment
    B-headed Gull
    Black Grouse 24/10/2002 LOA-Comp 7 1 Sunny spells and showers after
    overnight frost
    Blackbird 30/10/2002 LOA-Comp 8 2 WEATHER - misty, hazy sun trying to break
    through, very light northerly wind
    Blackbird 12/11/2002 LOA-Comp 3 1

    with each row containing all the data.

    Thoughts & hlp would be great as I've got around 8000 records to process &
    am fed up making a pivot table over & over agian for each sheet- which are
    usually 'slightly' different contents.

    Cheers now, Rob.

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How can I save a pivot table layout?

    Hi Rob

    Could you define your data source for the PT as Dynamic Range. For more
    help on this take a look at Debra's site
    http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

    Then in the PT wizard, use the named range =myData1 as the source
    rather than something like $A$1:$H$1000.

    If you make different ranges myData1, myData2 etc. then just changing
    the source range in the PT will give your results.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Rob B
    Guest

    RE: How can I save a pivot table layout?

    Ok what I've done is simply go 2 steps back via the wizard to a new set of
    data- usually a transposed sheet of original data.

    Sometimes I need to add new flelds to the data, sometimes not.

    I use Deborah's fantastic pivot table addin to reset all data fields to 'Sum
    of' & procede from there.

    No code, just a few easy , repetitive steps.
    Cheers now, Rob.