Updating file names

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Updating file names

    I am making a simple excel button that opens other excel files when clicked but i need it to update the link when clicked on if it is changed by the user. Obviously a button to open another excel file is easy to do but i cannot work out how to make it automatically update the link. I have a small knowledge of VBA and am guessing that using it is one of the only ways that this problem can be solved? At the moment if the user changes the filename the link becomes broken. Does anyone know a way of solving this?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: Updating file names

    I may be missing something here, but the button sounds remarkably like
    the OPEN button on the standard toolbar?!

  3. #3

    Re: Updating file names

    Try using a commandbutton from the Control toolbox toolbar.

    Then doubleclick on that commandbutton and you'll see where your code goes (in
    the worksheet module of the worksheet that holds that commandbutton).

    You don't assign a macro like you do when you use a button from the Forms
    toolbar.

    =====
    I'm assuming that you're using a button placed on a worksheet.