Catastrophic Error in XL 2003

  1. #1
    Micah
    Guest

    Catastrophic Error in XL 2003

    I've written some pretty standard, but complicated, VBA code under
    XL2000. A user with XL2003 gets a "catastrophic error" when opening
    the file (macros enabled), which sends him to the VBA debugger - but in
    a loop. Need Task Mgr to quit the application.

    This is NOT a shared workbook - I read those posts but haven't found a
    clue as to what could be causing this.

    I also got this error on an XL2003 machine (same description as above).
    After 'resolving' it by saving as an older version of Excel (even
    though it originally was XL2000!), I started getting "Out of memory
    errors" - which were not duplicated on another user's machine (XL2000).

    Any clues at all as to what could be causing this? I am completely
    stumped as to how to proceed. Again, NOT a shared workbook; there are
    no connections to outside databases happening; just a lot of
    user-defined functions and range-lookup stuff happening in the code.
    There is sheet-protection toggling and a bit of conditional formatting
    that's dependent on the user-defined functions but ... nothing special
    in the code really. Help! Thanks ...

  2. #2
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: Catastrophic Error in XL 2003

    I don't have any idea of what might be wrong. What I would do to test
    this is to save a version of the XL 2000 workbook with the code
    commented out. (I would append a number to the name.) Assuming that
    opens okay in XL 2003, uncomment your first block of code (perhaps an
    initialization routine), save the file, close it, then open it again.
    If that works, uncomment another block, Save as with a new name (a new
    number at the end if I was doing it), close, open. Eventually the
    error should rear its ugly head, at which point you will have likely
    pinpointed the problem. Then check that code block for anything that
    might cause problems in XL 2003. There may be a variable name that is
    now a keyword, or a similar problem.

    Please post if you find a solution. Good luck!

  3. #3
    Puppet_Sock
    Guest

    Re: Catastrophic Error in XL 2003

    Micah wrote:
    [snip]
    > Any clues at all as to what could be causing this? I am completely
    > stumped as to how to proceed. Again, NOT a shared workbook; there are
    > no connections to outside databases happening; just a lot of
    > user-defined functions and range-lookup stuff happening in the code.
    > There is sheet-protection toggling and a bit of conditional formatting
    > that's dependent on the user-defined functions but ... nothing special
    > in the code really. Help! Thanks ...

    Wild stab in the dark, but is there any difference to the add-ins that
    were loaded on the two systems?
    Socks