Word's Mail Merge of an Excel List

  1. #1
    Jack Gillis
    Guest

    Word's Mail Merge of an Excel List

    I am trying to follow the Excel help file in using Word 2003 to produce
    labels from a list of names in Excel 2003. I want to just put the First
    Name field on the labels. The instructions are very clear and I can produce
    the labels just as I want them on the Avery labels except for one minor
    problem. I want the First Name centered both horizontally and vertically on
    the label. I can center it horizontally but can find no way to do it
    vertically. The name in a large font size, say 48 or 72, is noticeably
    nearer the top of the label than the center.

    Is there a way to make it appear in the center top to bottom?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    Re: Word's Mail Merge of an Excel List

    IIRC, the main doc should be set up as a table, so you should be able to
    select the table, then go to Table>Table Properties>Cell, select Center from
    the Vertical Alignment options.

    HTH |:>)
    Bob Jones
    [MVP] Office:Mac

  3. #3
    Beth Melton
    Guest

    Re: Word's Mail Merge of an Excel List

    There are probably a couple of paragraph marks at the end of each
    label which throws off the vertical alignment. To correct it, turn on
    your non-printing characters (¶ in the Standard toolbar) and remove
    the last two paragraph marks on the first label. Then use the
    "Propagate Labels" command to change the rest.

    If you've already completed the merge then:

    - Press F5 to open Find/Replace
    - Select the Replace tab
    - In Find What type: ^p^p
    - Leave Replace With blank
    - Click Replace All

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Beth Melton
    Microsoft Office MVP

    Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
    MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jack Gillis
    Guest

    Re: Word's Mail Merge of an Excel List

    Thank you very much. I didn't get it to work the first try but I will try
    again in the morning.

    news:C0B0C0ED.EB9F%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Jack Gillis
    Guest

    Re: Word's Mail Merge of an Excel List

    Thank you very much, Beth.

    Now the labels are centered top to bottom.

    In addition to the paragraph mark at the end of each label there was another
    symbol, a small circle with 'ears' (short lines) sticking out of it. What
    in the world are they?

    Thanks again.

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Guest

    Re: Word's Mail Merge of an Excel List

    That's the end-of-cell marker, and it should be the only "paragraph mark"
    you see. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

  7. #7
    Jack Gillis
    Guest

    Re: Word's Mail Merge of an Excel List

    Thank you, Suzanne. Yep, it is the only 'thingy" there now and its position
    corresponds to you explanation.

    Thanks again.

    news:[email protected]...