scientific notation

  1. #1
    T.Reisz
    Guest

    scientific notation

    After reformatting an entire column to carry numbers with leading zeros as
    text (employee data), empty cells will revert to scientific notation when new
    data is input. How can I make text the default for all new data in a column?

  2. #2
    Saruman
    Guest

    Re: scientific notation

    Enter an apostrophe before entering the data, the apostrophe does not print
    or show up but tells excel that the contents is text. ie '012345 will show
    in the cell as 012345 with a green triangle in the corner with a message tht
    the cell is formatted as text or preceeded by an apostrophe.

    --
    Saruman
    All Outgoing Mail Scanned By Norton Antivirus 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    T.Reisz
    Guest

    Re: scientific notation

    I appreciate the quick response.
    I was aware of how to format for text for the individual cell and for an
    entire column, but wanted to format the column once, not at every new entry -
    it probably happened after I had closed the file and then reopened. Even
    though the entire column had been formatted to text, new entries would
    default to number format.

    After submitting my question, I created a custom formatting ( \0######).
    The \ keeps the leading 0 intact) and then created a template of the
    worksheet (the only way to save the custom format).

    There is a feature

  4. #4

    Re: scientific notation

    If you format a column as text and then save that file as a normal excel
    workbook (*.xls), the next time you open the workbook, that column should still
    be formatted as text.

    If you save as (say) a comma separated values file (*.csv), then all formatting
    will be lost and you'll experience that problem.

  5. #5
    T.Reisz
    Guest

    Re: scientific notation

    Yes, it should, but it doesn't, thus the question. Not dealing with .csv.
    However, I've worked it out satisfactorily. Thanx