Copy Worksheet With Formulas

  1. #1
    Wayne Wengert
    Guest

    Copy Worksheet With Formulas

    I have several excel 2003 files with identical structure of worksheets. On
    one, I added a new worksheet with formulas that refer to cells in other
    worksheets in the file. The formulas look like "=(Scores_Sgl!F2) * 1.5". I
    want to copy the new worksheet - with the formulas - into other Excel files
    but when I do a copy/paste I get the values, not the formulas?

    How can I accomplish that?

  2. #2

    Re: Copy Worksheet With Formulas

    Two guesses...

    Have you filtered the range that you're copying?

    If no, do you have both workbooks open in the same instance of excel?

    If you click on Window (on the worksheet menubar), do you see both workbooks
    listed at the bottom?

    If no, then close the workbook that you're going to paste and close that
    instance of excel.

    Then back to the first instance and File|Open the receiving workbook.

  3. #3
    Wayne Wengert
    Guest

    Re: Copy Worksheet With Formulas

    Dave;

    Thanks for the response. I have two instances of Excel open. Let's call the
    "copy from" instance "Source.xls" and it has several worksheets, one of
    which is named "Data3". The other instance I have open I'll call
    "Target.xls" and it has the identical set of worksheet names.

    I go to Source.xls and select the cells in the Data3 worksheet that want to
    copy and then I click Edit/Copy. I then click on the Target.xls instance (I
    already have the Data3 worksheet open) and do a paste special.

    I am not clear on your last option - which I think applies to my case. It
    sounds like I should go to "Source.xls and do the copy and then close that
    instance of Excel but I don't understand what the File/Open is doing?

    Sorry to be dense!

    Wayne

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Copy Worksheet With Formulas

    If you have two separate instances of excel running, it's just like copying from
    two different applications.

    If you have two files open in the same instance of excel, then excel will know
    what you're copying--and how to treat it.

    Two separate instances will go through the windows clipboard--not excel's
    clipboard. So lots of things can get lost.

    The File|Open is just making sure that you open both workbooks in the same
    instance.

    If you've double clicked on the second filename (in windows explorer), then you
    may not be opening in that already running instance of excel.

  5. #5
    Wayne Wengert
    Guest

    Re: Copy Worksheet With Formulas