How to find next value if rows between are empty?

  1. #1
    joes
    Guest

    How to find next value if rows between are empty?

    Hello

    I have an excel with an "ID" column (A) and the data column (B). There
    exist multiple entries (rows) for the same Id. Unfortunately they did
    not multiply out the IDs with the value column means the same entries
    are listed together but with no Id. Here an example:

    A B
    ------------
    11 DATA_A
    12 DATA_B
    DATA_C (no id belongs to ID 12)
    13 DATA_D
    14 DATA_E
    DATA_F (no id belongs to ID 14)
    DATA_G (no id belongs to ID 14)
    15 DATA_H

    How can I multiply it out? I like to have this result

    A B
    ------------
    11 DATA_A
    12 DATA_B
    12 DATA_C (no id belongs to ID 12)
    13 DATA_D
    14 DATA_E
    14 DATA_F (no id belongs to ID 14)
    14 DATA_G (no id belongs to ID 14)
    15 DATA_H

    Many thanks
    regards

    Mark Egloff

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: How to find next value if rows between are empty?

    In C1 (or any cell in row 1) enter =A1
    In C2 enter =IF(A2="",C1,A2)
    Copy this down as far as the last entry in column B, let's say column C goes
    to C100
    Now you have the ID's but you want them in column A
    Copy C1:C100
    Select cell A1 and use Edit |Paste Special -> Values
    Now you can delete the formulas in column C
    Check that all is correct before saving the file.
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dominic LeVasseur
    Guest

    RE: How to find next value if rows between are empty?

    Another play might be to highlight the cells in column A from 1 to the end of
    your data.

    The select Edit:Goto:Special:Blank Cells.

    Type "=" then press the up arrow.

    Hit ctrl-enter

    HTH