Adding Figures based on a different columns info

  1. #1
    wowster0
    Guest

    Adding Figures based on a different columns info

    Dear Experts

    I have a workbook where row a = a number and row b = text ie gift, win,
    donation etc.

    What I am trying to achieve is to add all the gifts, all the wins and all
    the donations as seperate numbers, I could do this individually but as there
    are 500 plus rows it would seem sensible to try to have this formula driven

    Thanks in advance for any guidance

    Rgds

    Steve

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Adding Figures based on a different columns info

    =SUMIF(B1:B500,"Gift",A1:A500)
    or if the text Gift is entered into cell C1, =SUMIF(B1:B500,C1,A1:A500)
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Adding Figures based on a different columns info

    Another option is to create a pivot table to summarize the data. There
    are examples and links here:

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  4. #4
    wowster0
    Guest

    Re: Adding Figures based on a different columns info

    "Debra Dalgleish" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Another option is to create a pivot table to summarize the data. There are
    > examples and links here:
    >
    > http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html
    >
    > wowster0 wrote:
    >> Dear Experts
    >>
    >> I have a workbook where row a = a number and row b = text ie gift, win,
    >> donation etc.
    >>
    >> What I am trying to achieve is to add all the gifts, all the wins and all
    >> the donations as seperate numbers, I could do this individually but as
    >> there are 500 plus rows it would seem sensible to try to have this
    >> formula driven
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any guidance
    >>
    >> Rgds
    >>
    >> Steve

    > --
    > Debra Dalgleish
    > Contextures
    > http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

    Brilliant thanks for your responses question well and truly sorted

    Rgds

    Steve

  5. #5
    Alex
    Guest

    Re: Adding Figures based on a different columns info

    You don't need to specify rows with this formula. This is what I would
    do:

    =SUMIF(B:B,"Gift",A:A)

    Good luck!

    Alex.