VLOOKUP Difficulty

  1. #1
    Serge
    Guest

    VLOOKUP Difficulty

    =IF(OR(A45="",C45=""),"",IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A45,SAE_NutWTable,2)),2,TRUE))*C45
    the above formula is not giving the answer I am looking for.
    In A45=0.625 (nut size)
    In C45=95 (quantity)
    In D45 is the above formula and my answer should be 7 lb but I'm getting 95
    for answer.
    The formula looks up a table named "SAE_NutWTable" in the "Bolt Weights"
    sheet.
    This table looks like below:
    DIAMETER WEIGHT
    0.500 0.038
    0.625 0.073
    0.750 0.119
    0.875 0.190
    1.000 0.283
    1.125 0.403
    1.250 0.543
    1.375 0.730
    1.500 0.943
    Can someone help with this formula please?
    Many thanks in advance
    Serge

  2. #2
    TUNGANA KURMA RAJU
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP Difficulty

    modify your formula like this:
    =IF(OR(A45="",C45=""),"",IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A45,SAE_NutWTable,2,FALSE)),2,TRUE))*C45

  3. #3
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP Difficulty

    IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A45,SAE_NutWTable,2)),2,TRUE))*C45

    Because this part of your formula evaluates to

    TRUE*C45

    Excel stores TRUE as 1, so

    1*C45 = 95

    BTW - It looks to me that since VLOOKUP is looking for an approximate match,
    your formula will always return the false condition of your IF statement
    (TRUE in this case).

    Do you want an exact match for the lookup and if one is found return the
    result of the lookup, otherwise return 2? If so, maybe change to

    IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A45,SAE_NutWTable,2,FALSE)),2,VLOOKUP(A45,SAE_NutWTable,2,FALSE))*C45

  4. #4
    Serge
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP Difficulty

    Hello Tungana Kurma Raju,
    I'm sorry to say that the change gave me the same answer as before.
    Serge

  5. #5
    Serge
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP Difficulty

    Hello JMB,
    I'm please to say that your formula is right on the marker.
    It works great.
    Many thanks.
    Serge

  6. #6
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP Difficulty

    You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.