Pivot table grouping of data

  1. #1
    RichardMGreen
    Guest

    Pivot table grouping of data

    I ahev a pivot table which contains due date of payment, actual date of
    payment and the value of the payments. All the dates are in teh format
    dd/mm/yyyy. I'm trying to get down to a basic month for each payment, so I
    get a total received for January and a breakdown that shows how much of
    Januray's receipts is applicable to January, february and so on. At teh
    moment the pivot table is giving me a row for each date.
    According to the help file, I should be able to group them together by
    month, but when I select the data I want to group, I have the option to Group
    but not to select by Month or anything else.
    Anyone any ideas where I'm going wrong?

  2. #2
    Lynn Moralee
    Guest

    RE: Pivot table grouping of data

    To the best of my knowledge, you'd have to have the format mmm/yy for the
    dates to do what you want - but you can't just change the format in the cell,
    you'd have to change them.
    Lynn - Good luck

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table grouping of data

    If you right-click on the field button for a date field, you should get
    an option to group the items. Perhaps the dates in the source data are
    being seen as text, instead of real dates, and that's why you can't
    group them.
    There are a few suggestions here for fixing the problem:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Problems

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures