if statements depending on multiple VLOOKUP functions

  1. #1
    njuneardave
    Guest

    if statements depending on multiple VLOOKUP functions

    okay, so I have a pretty complex problem here...so, I need some good thinkers
    to help me out.

    (col A) (col B) (col C) (col D) (col E)
    (col F) (col G) (col H)
    prodNum | ProdType | Category | IsleNum | Size | Wt. | Name |
    Color
    0 couch lving 15 lg
    200 leather blk
    1 couch bdrm 15 sm
    75 futon blk
    2 couch den 14 lg
    230 leisure brwn
    3 chair kitch 3 sm
    10 wood oak
    4 chair lving 7 md
    22 leather blue
    5 chair lving 7 lg
    200 leather2 blk
    6 chair outside 1 sm
    7 plastic wht
    7 chair kitch 4 md
    15 leather3 brwn

    Okay, i think that is enough to get the drift.....

    NOTICE: there can be multiple ProdTypes, but each ProdType has its own
    Name. If there are two ProdTypes with thesame name, a number is appended to
    the end of the name (see chair->leather and chair->leather2 and
    chair->leather3).

    Suppose there are two identical forms....an "old" and a "new" form. If
    something gets added to the inventory, the new form updates the information
    (adding it and sorting it into its correct place). however, the old form is
    not notified of this update, so i need to make some equations that will
    search for the updates when the forms are together in the same project. So,
    i will have 2 worksheets: OldData and NewData. I want to record 2 things:
    when i get a new ProdType into NewData, a new ProdName into NewData, or
    update info (size, islenum, wt, etc... any one or combination of them) for a
    ProdType. I want the equations to be put in a "Change Records" datasheet
    that will compare the NewData sheet to the OldData sheet. The Change Records
    sheet will have the same layout as the two other sheets. When a new
    ProdType is added, all of the info for that ProdType (size, wt, isle, name,
    color, etc) in the will be inserted into the ChangeRecords. When a new

    new ProdType: i figure use a VLOOKUP for the ProdType..... suppose in this
    case, it finds a new ProdType named Dresser. There are no dressers in the
    ProdType currently. I figure that ChangeRecords sheet will do a VLOOKUP()
    and find that the Dresser is a new entry and will populate itself with the
    necessary info...this part to me will be the easiest.

    new Name: same thing as the new ProdType...i can populate this fine. the
    problem is with the update:

    update ProdType: suppose a ProdType moves from isle 13 to 15. i will have
    to first find the ProdType, then find the Name....then when i find that both
    of those are the same, i check that same entry with the OldData, and if the
    isle number is different, I put a "15" in for Isle in ChangeRecords along
    with any updated info (such as a change of color if it changed from brown to
    green)....any unchanged info is omitted.

    so to check to make sure that olddata is same as newdata, i need to first
    find the prodtype then find the corresponding name. i check that prodtype
    and name (using a nested VLOOKUP???) against the olddata, and if anythign
    changes i record it.

    so, what would be the equation to do this (and no, i dont want to use a
    macro...this must be an equation)

    THANKS!

  2. #2
    njuneardave
    Guest

    RE: if statements depending on multiple VLOOKUP functions

    sorry the formatting messed up. try to copy/paste it to notepad if you can.

    Also, there are an unknown amount of ProdTypes.....so, does that factor into
    the equation with matching the names to the prodtypes? do the names have to
    derive from the prodtypes too, or can u VLOOKUP them separately?