finding greatest (or least) date associated with given value

  1. #1
    sprocideon
    Guest

    finding greatest (or least) date associated with given value

    Hello, and thanks ahead of time for any assistance.

    I am trying to discover a way to look at a table of values with assigned
    dates and choose the greatest date for a specific value. For example, value
    A has 3 dates assigned (see table below). I would like to be able to find
    the greatest date assigned to value A, but ignoring any other dates for other
    values, such as value B, value C, etc. Here is a simple table of data:

    column a column b
    row 1 A 2/5/2003
    row 2 A 7/22/2005
    row 3 A 5/5/2005
    row 4 B 6/1/2002
    row 5 B 9/17/2001
    row 6 B 1/1/2001

    I am hopeful to find a formula that will select 7/22/2005 for greatest date
    of value A. Likewise, i'd like to be able to do the same for value B, value
    C, etc., as well as find the least date (for example, 2/5/2003 for value A).

    Thanks again for any help.
    --
    Sprocideon

    -To conquer without risk is to triumph without glory- El Cid

  2. #2
    Ardus Petus
    Guest

    Re: finding greatest (or least) date associated with given value

    =MAX((B1:B6)*(A1:A6="A"))
    Array formula, to be validated with Ctrl+Shift+Enter

    AP

    de news: [email protected]...

  3. #3
    sprocideon
    Guest

    Re: finding greatest (or least) date associated with given value

    Perfect! Thank you very much.