MAYDAY! Menus producing a "ghost" box rather than a drop down list

  1. #1
    The Horny Goat
    Guest

    MAYDAY! Menus producing a "ghost" box rather than a drop down list

    Folks I have a big problem - I am using MS Office 2003 Student /
    Teacher edition and am desperately seeking help. My machine is a
    P4/3.2 with 2gb ram and a disgusting amount of disk space running XP
    Home.

    What the problem is is that when I try to access ANY of the commands
    on the second line (e.g. File / Edit / View / Insert / Format etc.) I
    get a ghostly light gray transparent box instead of the usual drop
    down list of commands.

    This is whether I use the mouse or the various Alt-commands. The ONLY
    keyboard shortcut command I've been able to get to work is alt-F4
    which I don't think is on this second line.

    I tried to get help from Microsoft but their system demanded my PID -
    which naturally I have to access to Help / About etc. (Gee thanks!)

    I am fairly sure that I have something garbled in my setup (Excel has
    been working flawlessly on this box for more than a year until now)
    since while I am the main user on the system I am not the ONLY user on
    this machine and Excel works perfectly on my wife's account. This is
    not much of a work-around of course since I have lots of templates I
    use all the time which she does not have access to.

    I've checked the XLSTART folder at C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Office\Office10\XLStart but that didn't do the trick. I vaguely recall
    from my tech support days of 10 years ago that there was a default
    file of settings in a file called something like book.xls or book1.xls
    which plays the same role to Excel that normal.dot does to MS Word.
    But I don't see such a file anywhere (a LOT of MS Word problems can be
    solved simply by renaming Normal.dot and letting MS Word recreate the
    file with the system defaults) so I'm stuck.

    I'm also thinking this might be a simple Regedit fix which I know
    enough about Regedit to manage but DON'T want to go in there without
    advice from someone more knowledgeable than me. Since Excel works just
    fine on her account it's got to be some garbled .ini file or something
    like that - I'd be happy to copy hers over mine if some "MVP" figures
    that's a good fix

    Since Murphy is very much alive and well you KNOW this sort of thing
    is going to happen on a Friday afternoon when you're facing a tax
    deadline on Tuesday and were planning to work around the clock to get
    it done right? Does it ever happen differently?

    Any replies would be HUGELY HUGELY HUGELY appreciated.

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: MAYDAY! Menus producing a "ghost" box rather than a drop down list

    If you can get in to the VBA Editor (ALT+F11), try to run Detect
    And Repair via code. Go to the Insert menu, choose Module, and
    paste in the following code. Press F5 to execute it.

    Sub AAA()
    Application.CommandBars.FindControl(ID:=3774).Execute

    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
    www.cpearson.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    The Horny Goat
    Guest

    Re: MAYDAY! Menus producing a "ghost" box rather than a drop down list

    On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:00:55 -0500, "Chip Pearson" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >If you can get in to the VBA Editor (ALT+F11), try to run Detect
    >And Repair via code. Go to the Insert menu, choose Module, and
    >paste in the following code. Press F5 to execute it.
    >
    >Sub AAA()
    > Application.CommandBars.FindControl(ID:=3774).Execute
    >End Sub

    Thanks for the tip - after writing the SOS newsgroup message I
    rebooted several times as a result of getting an update on Adobe
    Reader (could THAT have caused it?!?)

    I did get to the VBA editor (which I have used previously to build a
    function that a close equivalent to was added with the XP 2002
    Financial Analysis pack so that tells you how long it has been) and
    whatever happened my screwed up Excel now seems unscrewed.

    I wish I knew exactly what I had just seen since I got the dubious
    honor of working on our store's year ends without the benefit of the
    templates I take for granted. If worst had come to worst I could have
    copied the files to my laptop but given my personal monitor is a 25"
    widescreen vs. a 15" laptop screen and it's a WIDE spreadsheet you can
    see why that was my worst case scenario.

    Many many thanks....LC