Interpolating an x, y point from known x's and y's

  1. #1
    Steve
    Guest

    Interpolating an x, y point from known x's and y's

    Hi

    This is probably a simple task and it is my own lack of experience in
    Excel -- I would like to derive a y value for an arbitrary x value from a
    array of known x's and known y's for some unknown function y = f(x) a la:

    known x, y
    0.123, 4.567
    0.257, 10.4567
    0.4321, 20.3241
    0.703, 10.345
    0.804, 2.345

    say I want to derive a y value for x=0.5 from this data set using a linear
    or higher order fit -- is there an appropriate worksheet function for this
    or do I have to resort to programming?

    Many thanks in advance.
    Steve

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Interpolating an x, y point from known x's and y's

    You can nearly always fit N points to polynomial of N-1 power.
    You can make a chart and use Add Trendline
    To put the coeffienceints in worksheets cell use LINEST
    For more on:Polynomial, non-linear, Trendline Coefficients
    and Regression Analysis

    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ti...efficients.htm
    http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/E.../Polynomial.ht

    --