auto complete in list

  1. #1
    sedonovan
    Guest

    auto complete in list

    if i have many entries in a drop down list, is there a way to start typing
    and it goes through the entries to the value.

    eg in the list there is

    Daa..
    Dab...
    Dac...
    Dafa.
    Dafb.
    Dafc.
    Dag...
    ..
    ..
    ..
    if I start typing Daf - it takes me only to the entries beginning Daf??

    Many thanks

  2. #2

    Re: auto complete in list

    What did you use to create the drop downlist?

    If you used data|Validation or a dropdown from the Forms toolbar, then nope.

    If you used a combobox from the Control Toolbox Toolbar, then yep.

    If you go into design mode, show the combobox's properties, you can play with
    ".matchentry".

  3. #3
    sedonovan
    Guest

    Re: auto complete in list

  4. #4
    sedonovan
    Guest

    Re: auto complete in list

    at the moment - its through data validation.

    in sheet 2 i have a list of names and number

    A | B
    Name | Number
    Tom | 123
    **** | 456
    Harry | 789

    in sheet 1 i've two columns A and B - again called name and number - when
    i select Tom from column A , 123 appears in column b through vlookup.

    but i need a facility to start typing the beginning of the name to match the
    entry - can anybody help???

    many thanks,
    suzie

  5. #5

    Re: auto complete in list

    What happened when you tried replacing the Data|Validation cell with a combobox
    from the control toolbox?

  6. #6
    sedonovan
    Guest

    Re: auto complete in list

    which cell? the whole column? it's 300+ cells downwards. i've drawn a box -
    but its empty - i don't know which properties etc...

    thanks

  7. #7

    Re: auto complete in list

    The combobox from the control toolbox toolbar could be placed over each cell.
    You can rightclick on it and choose properties to set the linkedcell and
    listfillrange and matchentry.

    Get one working before you try all 300+.

    There could be other options--toolbar or move the combobox based on selected
    cell.