links not updating

  1. #1
    Utkarsh
    Guest

    links not updating

    Hi
    I have two files. Data in File 1 is linked to data in file 2. I have
    both the files open. When I change a value in file 2, the data in file
    1 should update automatically. This doesn't seem to be happening. I
    have to go to each cell and hit F2 for the update to happen. I've tried
    both F9 and Shift-F9. The calcuations are set to automatic but still it
    doesn't update uatomatically. Any idea what is happening?

    Thanks
    Utkarsh

  2. #2

    Re: links not updating

    Do you have calculation set to automatic (tools|Options|calculation tab)?

    If yes, are you sure you have both workbooks open in the same instance of excel?

    If you click on Window (on the toolbar), do you see both workbooks at the bottom
    of that dropdown?

    If no, then close one of the instances of excel and then go to the other
    instance and use File|Open to open the other file. Then try it again.