Delete duplicate values

  1. #1

    Talking Delete duplicate values

    Hi,

    Does anyone know if there is a way to delete duplicate values in list of names. I have a spreadsheet with about 10 000 records but each person is reprasented several times in the list. I would like to simply delete any duplicates, but going through the list deleting row by row is just driving me mad. :-)

  2. #2
    You can use pivot table - you will get the list of unique names.

  3. #3
    mike_vr
    Guest

    RE: Delete duplicate values

    You could try an advanced filter...

    Sort your records by name, then highlight only the name column. Then
    Data/Filter/Advanced Filter. Check the "Unique Records Only" box, and hit OK.
    You should now see that only one row per name is available. From here I would
    highlight the entire data range, select visible cells only (shortcut to this
    is highlighting the data range, hit F5, Special, Visible Cells Only) and then
    I would copy and paste them onto a new sheet.

    Cheers,

    Mike

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Delete duplicate values

    Data>Filter>Advanced Filter.

    Unique records and Copy to another place.

    If you want to copy to another worksheet, see Debra Dalgleish's site for more
    info.

    http://www.contextures.on.ca/xladvfi....html#FilterUR

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5