Seperating text

  1. #1
    Richard
    Guest

    Seperating text

    Hi,

    I have a column that contains part numbers and a brief, one word,
    description. I would like to seperate the description from the part numbers.
    The list is pretty long and would rather use a function than to do it
    manually. So, is there a function or formula that will do this?

    Thank You,

    Richard

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Seperating text

    It all depends on how the data is formatted. If the part number is all
    numbers and the description is all alpha-characters, then ASAP Utilities is a
    free Add-in available at www.asap-utilities.com that has features that will
    strip out all the Alpha and/or all the numerical characters from a string.
    If the two groups are always separated by a space or other unique character
    then LEFT, Mid, and FIND can be used to separate the groups, or even Data >
    TextToColumns could be used..........please post back with more specifics and
    someone will be glad to help....

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    tim m
    Guest

    RE: Seperating text

    Are the part numbers always the same length? An example of some of the data
    would help. you could use text to columns, or the RIGHT, LEFT, MID funtions
    but it all depends on what the data looks like.

  4. #4
    Richard
    Guest

    RE: Seperating text

    Part numbers have numerals and letters, but they are all seperated by a
    space. Is this what you are talking about?

    Richard

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Seperating text

    Yes..........Please provide a few examples....preferably to include both the
    normal, and any extremes different from the most of them.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Seperating text

    Are you up for some VBA?

    Sub RemoveAlphas()
    '' Remove alpha characters from a string.
    '' except for decimal points and hyphens.
    Dim intI As Integer
    Dim rngR As Range, rngRR As Range
    Dim strNotNum As String, strTemp As String
    Set rngRR = Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, _
    xlTextValues)
    For Each rngR In rngRR
    strTemp = ""
    For intI = 1 To Len(rngR.Value)
    If Mid(rngR.Value, intI, 1) Like "[0-9.-]" Then
    strNotNum = Mid(rngR.Value, intI, 1)
    Else: strNotNum = ""
    End If
    strTemp = strTemp & strNotNum
    rngR.Value = strTemp
    Next rngR
    End Sub

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  7. #7
    Richard
    Guest

    RE: Seperating text

    Here are some examples:

    CYAN C4815A
    MAGENTA C4816A
    YELLOW C4817A

    Color description and Part number need to go into seperate columns.

    Richard

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    Why not just use Text to Column and look for the space?
    Google is your best friend!

  9. #9
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Seperating text

    If it is always colour followed by space and part number you would probably
    be best off using text to columns but if you need a trail you can use

    =LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1)

    for the colour, assume you put that formula in B2, then in C2 use

    =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A2,B2,""))

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Northwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

    news:[email protected]...