Is there a limit to the number of rows in a excel spread sheet ?

  1. #1
    Bob's row limit question
    Guest

    Is there a limit to the number of rows in a excel spread sheet ?

    Hi,

    I am using a script to build various worksheets in an excel spread sheet.

    From looking at the results, the last row that I am getting is 65536 which
    if memory serves me is the largest unsigned binary number that can be stored
    in 2 bytes. Is this an excel limitation ? If it is can it be overridden ?

    Thanks in Advance

    Bob

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Portugal
    MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise
    Yes, you're right. Each excel worksheet can have only 65536 lines.

  3. #3

    Re: Is there a limit to the number of rows in a excel spread sheet ?

    xl97 to xl2003 have a limit of 64k rows.

    xl2007 will have 1 meg rows.

    This is per worksheet. You can add more worksheets if you want.

  4. #4
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    RE: Is there a limit to the number of rows in a excel spread sheet ?

    See Excel Help for "specifications" for such documented limitations.

    Jerry