Need multiple users advice

  1. #1
    Nick Cartwright
    Guest

    Need multiple users advice

    Hi guys,

    I'm not sure where to post this but I'm looking for some assistance/guidance
    on what to do with a spreadsheet we are current'y using.

    We use a 'booking' sheet at work which has a series of colums which has
    fields such as booking ref,booking time,arrival time,departure time etc... of
    the vehicles that have been in and out of our warehouse.

    What we require is for this spreadsheet to become a little more 'advanced'
    and be a little easier to use and also generate reports for example :

    Vehicle 1 for customer A had a booking time of 09:00, it didn't arrive till
    09:45 and left at 10:15.

    We'd like for that 'Customer' how many booking slots were missed and by how
    long and they how long it took for the vehicle to leave in this case it would
    have been :

    45 minutes late
    30 minutes 'turn around time'

    Also one of the main things we require is multiple users can see/edit live
    data which is not possible at the moment.

    You can find the spreadsheet here on my webspace
    http://www.nickyboyc.force9.co.uk/BOOKING.xls

    Any thoughts and suggestions will be very much appreciated

    Many thanks in advance
    Nick

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Need multiple users advice

    Nick

    Based on the theory that Excel struggles with negative times (early), but I
    guess with deliveries you would count early as 'on time', you can achieve
    most of what you want with formulae. The bit that you *will* struggle with
    in Excel is live, read/write capabilities. Excel doe share workbooks, but it
    would not be live and it really doesn't work well.

    To the lateness, use a formula like (Expected and arrival times in B2 and C2
    respectively)

    =IF((C2-B2)<0,0,C2-B2)

    result formatted as time. Remember if deliveries are likely to be days late
    sometimes, you will need to have a date column also. (If this happens, add
    the date and time columns for expected and arrival first and then subtract
    one from the other), eg

    =IF(((C2+D2)-(B2+A2))<0,0,(C2+D2)-(B2+A2))

    For the standing time, just take the departure from the arrival (Say H2 and
    F2)

    =IF((H2-F2)<0,0,H2-F2)

    formatted as time...

    Hopefully this is a start

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    "Nick Cartwright" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Nick Cartwright
    Guest

    Re: Need multiple users advice

    Hi Nick many thanks for the reply,

    Would it be possible to add this spread into for example an access data base
    or another program ? Or have you a suggestion on how you would solve this ?

    Regards
    Nick

  4. #4
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Need multiple users advice

    For a multi-user environment Access would be far more suitable, and you
    could either have queries displaying data there or use Excel as a front end
    reporting tool with pivot tables perhaps

    You would want at least one table with all your date, arrival, etc data and
    then do the calculations in a query

  5. #5
    JLatham
    Guest

    Re: Need multiple users advice

    Good morning, Nick C.,
    When I read your first post above, Access came to mind almost immediately.
    It is better suited overall because of your needs to analyze the data and
    for several people to be able to use the program at the same time.

    The problem with Excel in doing analysis on data as you have it is that it's
    difficult to collate data from numerous worksheets and I suspect there are a
    lot more going to be involved than the week's worth in the sample you
    provided. The other problem is the one of simultaneous use by several
    people. I see a need for that here - you can't have two people scheduling
    the same resource for use at the same time by two or three different people
    for one thing. To prevent that, you need keep up to date on when resources
    are scheduled to prevent possible conflicts. With an Access database you can
    check almost instantly to see if someone has scheduled the use of something
    that would potentially conflict with a booking you are in the process of
    making.

    Nick Hodges noted you could use Excel as a front end and as an output for
    reports to be generated. True. But I'd consider building an Access
    application to be used as the front end and data storage with either output
    via Access reports or exported to Excel for even further data analysis.
    Actually I often prefer to export to Excel because it's easier to distribute
    an Excel workbook and do further analysis on it than it is an Access report.

    Another nice thing about Access is that in the final product you should have
    your back end, with the data tables, separated physically into a separate
    ..mdb file that is linked to with a front end with the business logic, user
    interface, reports, etc built in to it. Then everyone uses the front end to
    communicate with the centralized back end and so you have a 'real time' view
    of resource allocation. You can also be making changes to the front end to
    revise business rules, revise the user interface, etc. without taking the
    whole thing off line.

    My only reservation in recommending Access to look at would be one of size -
    Access tends to get bogged down when there are huge numbers of records (as in
    6-digit numbers of them) to query or of you have a very large number of
    simultaneous users. It is also still limited to 2 GB for any single table or
    total .mdb file size - although for most cases that's plenty and if your data
    tables approach that size you've either come up with work arounds (spreading
    tables across several .mdb files) or switched to a more robust solution such
    as SQL Server or another database.

    For your use, my initial design of the database would be centered around
    making a booking one record in a table. Other tables I would probably have
    would be one containing a list of all available resources (trailers, vans,
    etc) and probably another one with my customer list in it. Well, just about
    any of the information for a booking that could be drawn from a list of that
    information would make things go smoother - insuring consistent spelling, use
    of abbreviations, names, etc. which will make your data analysis more
    accurate later.

  6. #6
    Nick Cartwright
    Guest

    Re: Need multiple users advice

    Hi JLatham,

    Many thanks for the great reply, I'm hopeless with access etc... Is it
    possible you could develope this for me and obviously charge me accordingly ?

    Best Regards
    Nick

  7. #7
    JLatham
    Guest

    Re: Need multiple users advice

    Nick, I don't know that I'd charge for providing assistance to you. Lord
    knows I've given away a lot of help with Access and Excel things to many
    others here and in a couple of other places I hang out. This doesn't look
    like a massive project so why don't you drop me an email to 2kmaro @ dslr.net
    (remove spaces to get legit email addy from that) and we can discuss details
    of things - number of users, connections available for networking the
    project, etc.

    JLatham

  8. #8
    Nick Cartwright
    Guest

    Re: Need multiple users advice

    Many thanks again JLatham, I've sent you an email.

    Best Regards
    Nick